1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Texas Beat Writer- Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1569210

Company: Austin American-Statesman
    Position:
    Seeking University of Texas athletics beat
    writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    April 11, 2014
    Job ID: 1569210

Description:

Are you ready to be one of the vital members of our sports team? Do you thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment? If so, we are looking for you.

The Austin American-Statesman, a subsidiary of family-owned Cox Newspapers, is seeking a writer whose main duties are to cover the University of Texas athletics department. The right candidate will collaborate with the lead UT writer and editors in creating rich content for the print and web products.

The position requires a writer who is adept at using social media and video as a core part of our coverage. We seek someone with a news curiosity and the ability to storytell vividly.

The top applicant will be a self-starter comfortable taking direction from editors and is prepared to work nights and weekends as required. At least five years of professional experience in sports or the equivalent are required.

Anyone interested should send a cover letter, resume, samples (or links) of your work to newsroomjobs@statesman.com.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

This would be a great gig.

3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

If I had about three more years of experience, I would have applied for this already. Not only is the Statesman a quality paper, but it's in Austin. No-brainer to apply for this one.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

To each their own. But if the job sounds appealing, go ahead and apply. The worst they can say is "no". All it costs is a few minutes of your time. Maybe not even a stamp anymore.

5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

This was all the motivation I needed. Once again, I owe SJ for making a career decision. If everybody could pretend this post didn't exist and lose their resumes for a few weeks, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seriously, mate, I wish you well. You might just happen to be exactly what they are looking for. So often we tend to sell ourselves short. Give it a shot and even if you don't land it this time, it can lead to other possibilities.

7. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

I agree with Mark. Never disqualify yourself; let them tell you no. If anything, they may see you have what it takes and could overlook the lack of experience.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I wish more people would take Mark's advice. NEVER disqualify yourself for a job opening. Sure thousands of people may apply and 1000 may be more qualified than you, but let them make that decision if the job looks appealing. I've been in this biz long enough to know that some people I thought had no chance to get some gigs end up in them and some well-qualified candidates never even hear their phone ring on some gigs.
    You never know why...maybe the hiring manager loses the other 1000 an you are all that he has. :) Or more likely yours is one of the first he looks at when he starts sorting and it just sticks out to him as after going through the other 1000, everything starts to look the same.
    Who knows.
    That being said, don't bother applying. This gig is mine. :D

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Joe: You're hired!

What he said. Some editors may think you're not right for one job... but another one comes along and he or she has your resume. One door closes, another one opens.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

In this age of bullshit, the Austin paper still does things right. And top to bottom, from what I've seen. It's a good paper and a smart paper, and the people who work there have their heads on straight. Well-managed and well-executed every day, and that's hard to find at the bigger papers anymore.

So go for it if you're interested. The Austin newsroom is aggressive and talented.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The whole hiring bit has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I've known incredibly talented people working at very small papers (and stations) and some people at bigger places who couldn't tie their shoes. I can't help but wonder "how on earth did they wind up there?". Maybe they started in the mail room and worked their way up. Maybe they knew someone who knew someone. Maybe they had been there for a long time. Who knows?

But I've learned not to judge someone by the company they happen to work for.

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Chip Brown is heading to Horns Digest, which seems to have added two other people recently as well. Anybody hear anything on this job?

Draft saved Draft deleted