1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Nice.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Pirates played the scrap heap well. No doubt about that. Of course they are willing to be patient with guys like that. They come relatively cheap.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm an expert at Pin the Tail on the Donkey. That really impressed the women.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I could understand it when KC won, or if Pittsburgh had won, but SF has won 2 titles in the last 5 years.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think it's no more complicated than they're a bunch of bros who enjoy spraying alcoholic beverages all over each other.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I almost understand celebrating a wild card win more than an LDS win, the thinking being that if you win the wild card game, now you're in the real playoffs.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He ended the magical season of the Pittsburgh Pirates with an 8-0, four-hit, 10-whiff shutout in the National League wild-card game. And now, in your all-time ranks of pitchers who have spun a shutout, with double-digit strikeouts, in a winner-take-all postseason baseball game, the list looks like this:

Sandy Koufax in 1965.
    Justin Verlander in 2012.
    Madison Bumgarner on an unforgettable Wednesday night in Pittsburgh.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11626019/bumgarner-new-october-masterpiece

8. Songbird

Crawford: 1st SS ever to hit playoff grand slam.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's a stat like Bernie Williams as greatest statistical post-season player ever. There is little in common between what Bumgarner did and what Koufax did.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But Jim Thome has more postseason home runs than Mickey Mantle!

11. Songbird

Except Jetes has 200 playoff hits -- 72 more than anyone! The best.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've had the Nationals penciled into the World Series for weeks, but now I'm thinking San Francisco is going to take them out. The Nats went 5-2 against the Giants, but I read this morning four of the wins came against pitchers who probably aren't going to make the postseason rotation. The Nats didn't face Peavy and Hudson pretty much owned them in the regular season.

Draft saved Draft deleted