1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Sorry that the concept of using multiple metrics, which each have their limitations, to paint a comprehensive picture is a bit confusing. I really don't think I can explain it any clearer, a limitation on my part, I guess. (AND, btw, don't forget FIP, which is very different from UZR and DRS).

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Amreader, that is a very weak response. I understand your point just fine. The flaw is not in your explanation, it is in your data. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's a teaming that I think could only work in Northern California and especially in the Bay area. They don't do Baseball 101 like so many broadcasters do. If the game's dull, they'll check out ships in the Bay, talk about fans, ect.

Imagining they're saying quite a bit about Crawford ... still.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Doesn't Vin do Dodgers home games only now?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Crawford's slam was the first by a shortstop in the post-season- ever.
    Pretty fuking incredible stat.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Games vs. the NL West, home and away, plus interleague vs. the Angels. I suspect he'll be headed to St. Louis, though.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My totally unbiased view is that the Nats are in trouble.

This looks like 2012.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I didn't expect tonight's game to top last night's game or even come close to that, but I didn't expect it to be such a complete dud. Time to catch up on tonight's shows in the DVR.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

Nothing could top last night. It was one of the five greatest games Fart's ever seen.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. Tonight is all the way to the complete other end of the spectrum.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

"This game didn’t vindicate Billy Beane or Dayton Moore. This game vindicated baseball."

http://grantland.com/features/2014-mlb-playoffs-kansas-city-royals-oakland-athletics-american-league-wild-card-classic/

I never felt the game needed vindication, with its tremendous wealth of superstar talent, but appreciate the sentiment.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

One of the lessons of this season seems to be that if you're willing to take a chance or be patient with former phenoms who disappoint or get hurt, they might eventually pay off.

Volquez
    Arrietta
    Hughes
    Snider
    Liriano

There are more I'm forgetting.

Draft saved Draft deleted