1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think that ballot is pretty flawless, and I don't often agree with Keri's opinions.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This might be more for Old Tony or Bob Cook but anyone know if WGN radio had any special programming Sunday for its final Cubs broadcast?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did I miss something or is Trout the only player on the list going to play in a Divisional Playoff game? Does this speak to any point as to what the award means or the definition of Most Valuable?

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

yab, you're figuring correctly. For what it's worth, 6 of the 10 players on Keri's NL MVP ballot are still playing, although three of them are in tonight's coin-flip game.

Clayton Kershaw
    Andrew McCutchen

Giancarlo Stanton
    Jonathan Lucroy
    Buster Posey
    Anthony Rendon
    Russell Martin

Johnny Cueto
    Anthony Rizzo
    Yasiel Puig

5. ryanb

ryanb Member

I saw that argument for Kluber of Hernandez. It read to me like somebody trying really hard to justify making the unconventional choice, but to each his own.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Indians at 2 & 4, and 2 White Sox among the top 10? He must be (I didn't read it yet) a "player of the year" guy.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

Wish they'd rename the award- call it the Derek Jeter Trophy if you bloody must- so we don't have to read the same arguments over semantics every awards season.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They already have the Hank Aaron Award (hitter of the year), but it's never gotten any traction, probably because it's not exclusively a BBWAA thing.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

His argument was basically "This is really, really, really, really close. But Kluber did an ever-ever-ever-so-slightly better job of controlling what he could control and the only reason his ERA was worse was because the Indians were horrible butchers in the field."

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jonah's tweet back to me:

@jonahkeri Cruz great offense but stacked AL field plus bad defense left him just short

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not that CYA is team dependent, but since neither the Indians nor the Mariners made the post season, neither choice is 'wrong'.

FWIW giving Cruz any benefit of any doubt after coming off a suspension just seems distasteful. And since homeruns and hitting are down and pitching is stronger now, (or just ERAs are down due to lack of hitting) it seems PEDs really affected baseball to the highest degree contemplated. And PEDs did have a greater impact on the quality of offense, where PEDs for pitcher may have just kept them in the game.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

If he blows this team up and they become cheaper and better - again - his legend will only grow.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/01/could-billy-beane-bust-up-the-as/

Billy Beane: Hall of Famer?

Draft saved Draft deleted