1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Fantasy sports- that'll generate interest in the thread.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, bring up something else. To be fair, fantasy sports generate a great deal of interest in MLB and the NFL.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

Yes, I miss the days when that wasn't the case.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I know it will never change, but baseball is in a bit of trouble because with the overwhelming popularity of the NFL, by the time they are in their stretch run, most people have moved on. I keep reading & hearing about how fans with no team in the race stop paying attention - I think that's the biggest reason. Problem is, both leagues have stretched their schedules so much that MLB wouldn't fix much even if they went to 154 games or less playoffs (I know neither will, but...).

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

OOP is still the pathetic thread-killer.
    Everything becomes World Against OOP.

Nobody signed up for that shit-show. It's boy drama.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Look in the mirror, bubba. You popped on to take shots at me on two different threads. Did you actually post anything on topic? Even fart boy was (sort of) posting something relevant.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Very overrated, this staying-on-topic shit. If somebody is calling you out, it's only because you've already crapped on the thread with your name-calling. So it's really the pot calling the kettle.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guy, as a lifelong Phillies fan, I know that the issue of teams playing out the string when hopelessly out of contention has been part of baseball long before the NFL became America's top TV show. Unfortunately, expansion of the playoffs to keep more markets in contention has the paradoxical effect of lowering interest in the playoffs themselves. Who outside of the towns involved really cares about those one-game wild card deals?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rumblings out of Atlanta that GM Frank Wren could be fired as soon as today.

EDIT: They did it. John Hart is interim GM, but probably just keeping the seat warm for Dayton Moore (a former Braves scouting director) or assistant GM John Coppolella:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-fire-gm-frank-wren/nhRw2/

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Say what you want about the play-in, but it incentivizes being a champion.
    It's exactly why St. Louis should still be sweating even though it clinched a wild-card spot.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hard to keep your job when your team scores 2 or fewer runs in 60 of the 155 they have played.

And sounds like there were other factors at play than just simply another September collapse (although timing this the day after elimination makes that a bit harder to believe for those more prone to skepticism):

"Beyond contracts, there have been personality clashes between Wren and some other prominent Braves officials over the years, and several valued employees from the baseball operations staff and Braves minor league system have left for other organizations in recent years. Cox, in his last three years as manager, didn’t have the same harmonious working relationship with Wren that Cox had with Schuerholz."

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If he's the one who signed Dan Uggla and B.J. Upton, they don't need another reason to fire him.

Draft saved Draft deleted