1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is why MLB teams are foolish to give out long contracts anymore. No one who is PED free will give a team full value of a 10-year contract.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Glad he had that torrid 4-for-26 stay in Indy to restore his confidence.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think the Brewers are trying to throw this game.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What are you saying about Jeter?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think they're trying to throw this season. Right now I honestly believe they won't even finish over .500.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

@SportsCenter 4m Clayton Kershaw's remarkable season continues. He joins elite company with 5th straight season of 200+ strikeouts.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Braves have been held scoreless for 24 innings, and have scored 1 run in their last 34 innings.

And yet, they haven't lost any ground in the wild card in the last three days because the Pirates and Brewers keep losing, too.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Mark Langston, wow, easy to forget how good that guy's stuff was. I know the sabre people and metric nerds usually don't believe in things like clutch or some guy's choking. But I remember talking to a scout who said Langston's problem was no mental toughness. He actually called him a 'Southern California surfer (derogatory name for homosexual).'

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dick Williams, briefly his manager in Seattle, thought the same of Langston.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't know that, but reading his bio I could picture him saying it and sounding just like the scout I knew. Both were old school suck it up rub some dirt on it type guys.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That should probably be a reason why you should stop thinking scouts know shit about that sort of thing.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You should read his memoirs "No More Mr. Nice Guy."
    He fires away at tons of guys he didn't like or respect.
    Candid and refreshing.

Draft saved Draft deleted