1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is no ZIP code anywhere, including the one that houses their stadium, where the A's are the predominant team over the Giants. The closest it gets is 48-36, but nearly all of the splits are in the 50s, and in the suburbs where the money is, it goes Giants upwards of 60 percent.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Same thing with Mets-Yankees according to the link.

I have a buddy from New York who grew up a Mets fan and I once asked him about that dynamic and he said "yeah, the only people who are Mets fans are Jewish guys from Long Island." (he being a Jewish guy from Long Island, by the way)

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not sure if Facebook is a great metric (would definitely skew against the 60-plus demographic), but it's a fascinating map all the same.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Did I see a New York Mets spot in northwestern Idaho?

Nah. Dust speck on the IPad.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised about the Yankees-Mets dynamic, but I am a bit surprised that even Alameda County is so solidly Giants. I also was surprised that the White Sox outpolled the Cubs in some of the Chicago-area counties.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is a bit of truth to that. It started out as many of the former Brooklyn Dodger
    fans who became Met fans. At same time the flight from Brooklyn to the suburbs of
    Long Island was going on.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A few years ago, my son lived in Brooklyn for a year, in a neighborhood near Prospect Park called Windsor Terrace that still had a considerable old-time Irish and Italian population as well as twentysomethings like him. There were many Mets fans in the neighborhood for whatever reason.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One of my friends posted a link to a list of "18 Things Only People From Westchester Understand" on Facebook yesterday.

I'm too old for some of them to be relevant, but this one seems appropriate to the conversation:

6. You have a lot of Jewish friends.

And you love them to death, even though most of them are Mets and Jets fans.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, the Mets-Jets fandom combo.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What about the Mets-Jets-Islanders trifecta?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I guess the Knicks were a given?

Draft saved Draft deleted