1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Writer - Oklahoman/NewsOK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sadly, there are some markets where that would not surprise me. I'm thankful that never happened to me. Most of my career was spent far, far from where I grew up and I wrote that. A few people still thought I was out to get their team.

2. SP7988

SP7988 Member

any updates on this?

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Ditto

4. SP7988

SP7988 Member

^have they started interviewing or found a new reporter yet?

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Hearing they will move VERY slowly on this, as the focus in the entire department is on the Oklahoma City Thunder in the playoffs right now and there is little to no action that the guys in Stillwater can't handle at the moment. Look for any news about this job to come up once the Thunder are either eliminated or win the title.

6. boundforboston

Did this get filled?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bumped up to top. I just wonder if this was the talented guy people on here referred to... if so, good for them to recognize it. Seems like they went a little too young, but if the candidate is talented then more power to them! Kyle Fredrickson is the winner.

http://newsok.com/article/5005301

8. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Still gives hope to any young writer that if he/she works hard, landing a dream job is possible. Call me an optimist, but that's how I look at it.

9. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Not a shock. They've been going young on those hires recently. Save Ryan Aber, who took over the OU beat recently from in-house when Kuzydym - a hire right out of college - left.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Amen, Valpo! Looks like they got a really good one... :)

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I don't know Kyle - he might be the next young effin stud - but it is indeed a trend in the biz and a big reason I got out recently. Guys with a decade or more of beat experience (many of whom I'm sure sent in their resumes for this one) are passed over for reporters just out of college and/or in-house hires who'll surely work cheaper than the veterans. It happened to me last summer and I wasn't surprised at all, really. It's just the way the business is going.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter - I have a great new job in communications with great health insurance and state benefits and I'm glad to be away from the full-time sports journalism world. I'm just saying this is the way it is for newspapers, for better or worse, and it's not going to get any better anytime soon.

12. boundforboston

I feel like sports editors would want to promote their guys from time to time. Tough balance of when to look outside and when inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted