1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Writer - Oklahoman/NewsOK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://newsok.com/article/3937193

Top-notch job, top-notch people, top-notch Moddy Seal.
    Heck, I may apply

2. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Props on posting this.

3. Great job and good one for talented recent grads to take a shot at. Based on past history, they have hired young (and cheap) for these beat jobs.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wondered if Oklahoman would post this given Gina's departure. EXCELLENT paper. My seal of approval, although Moddy's carries much more weight (as it should... lol)

5. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Gina the Okie State beat reporter?

Just asking because I see that the ad mentioned a writer for Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.

I believe Jason Kersey still handles the Sooner beat, so I'm guessing this is looking for a Cowboys beat writer?

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Kersey and Aber cover OU. Gina was on the OSU beat and is heading to cover Oregon State for the Oregonian.

7. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Thanks, Matt.

So I'm guessing this position must be for a new OSU writer, right?

8. Branwilken

Branwilken New Member

They haven't said for sure, but that seems to be the assumption by the people I know who are applying and those I know who are non-sports at the paper.

9. SP7988

SP7988 Member

hmmm...thanks for clearing that up, Bran.

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Sorry to say this for the outsiders, but I am hoping they go internal here. Have a friend who I would love to see get this gig. Will echo everyone here, great paper, great SE, great people to work with. I can say I am friends with a chunk of that staff and this is the first time I have said that about a "competing" paper. This is the Oklahoma State job, I am sure of that. Don't see either the Sooner writers stepping out to Stillwater.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Just so long as you don't get bonus money for referring him. ;)

Hey, if an internal hire happens, that might mean another position opens up. Who knows?

12. Branwilken

Branwilken New Member

Most likely.

They have a young, talented sports reporter working on the news desk, though. I have no knowledge or information on what they're doing, but my money would be on him. He won quite a few awards in college and was the sports intern at The Dallas Morning News this fall. If that happens, it wouldn't make a sports opening, unfortunately.

Draft saved Draft deleted