1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports director -- Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Feb 22, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

https://lee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl

Description

The Casper Star-Tribune, Wyoming’s largest news organization and consistent APSE award winner, is looking for someone to drive sports coverage for our digital and print platforms and help the editor and other senior managers direct the newsroom. This key senior newsroom manager will supervise our team of sports reporters and part-timers. He or she will play a major role in sports news play and planning for daily and weekend print editions, and they’ll also fully embrace Lee Enterprises’ “digital first” mission by ensuring we’re first and best on Trib.com and social media outlets when it comes to college and prep sports content. Coaching reporters and part-timers, editing local copy and setting the overall tone for sports coverage in Wyoming will be key parts of the role. Sports are a big deal here: We cover the University of Wyoming, an NCAA Division I athletics program, as well as high schools large and small throughout the state. We are a statewide media organization, and our coverage in print and online reflects just that.

It’s not all work, of course, in Wyoming. We have an established, historic small-town feel, but with our offerings of movie theaters, restaurants, shopping and the arts, we also provide a worthwhile social experience. Miss the big city? Denver is an easy drive. Want some privacy? We’re at the base of a beautiful mountain range where you can hike and get a breath of fresh air. Outdoor opportunities are endless.

The Casper Star-Tribune is a Lee Enterprises news organization with a daily circulation of about 23,000. We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our website at www.trib.com and learn more about our company at www.lee.net.

If this sounds like the job for you, then submit a resume and cover letter, detailing your sports, management, reporting, editing, online and social media experience, at www.trib.com/workhere. Also, please send editor Jason Adrians samples of your reporting and editing work at jason.adrians@trib.com. We’ll consider up-and-comers, of course, but we’re looking for someone who has at least two years as a sports editor or assistant sports editor somewhere else.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've known some people who worked there and they were helpful and cooperative. Not to slam them, but parts of the ad made me chuckle.

But do they have hospitals? Schools? Essential stuff like that?

Yeah, easy drive. Four hours at the least, and that's during the summer when the interstate isn't closed by a blizzard.

Yep, middle of nowhere. Stalkers will need a good GPS to find you.

Seriously, they do a pretty job covering some really small schools in really remote places. Not as easy as it seems.

3. Ibot1947

Ibot1947 New Member

As an FYI: Third time in less than a year this job has been opened. Lew Freedman was fired, from what I hear. Don't know why or the circumstances. Recently hired a new executive editor. And don't know if they ever filled the prep coordinator spot they had opened. Make of this what you will.

4. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

The new executive editor is a hard-driving, high-achieving, no-bullshit leader and a hell of a journalist. If you have a similar attitude you will thrive in this position. If only it weren't in friggin' Wyoming...

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

This gig does seem to open up pretty often. When they hired Lew, a few months ago, I think someone made a comment wondering how long he would last at the job. I guess that question has been answered.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wyoming, like some other places, is an acquired taste. For persons who grew up back east in cities of 100,000 plus with a dozen other cities in a three-hour driving range, it can take a bit of getting used to, even in this internet and technology age.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

For those wondering about Casper's dedication to sports coverage, the paper won two APSE awards for best beat writing this year in the under 30,000 category. Both were UW beat writers, Ben Frederickson and Mike Vorel. Ben also FWAA award for feature writing.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I LOVED Wyoming. And there's always the added bonus of low sales tax and no state income tax.

9. alexshoemaker

alexshoemaker New Member

I'm the sports editor of the Buffalo Bulletin (about 30 minutes south of Sheridan and the closest town for another 100 miles). Candidates feel free to contact me w/ questions about the area alex@buffalobulletin.com

10. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

This job has been filled.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Where am I? I'm in Boise, Idaho; no, no, no, wait a minute: I'm in Anchorage, Alaska. No, no, wait: I'm in Casper, Wyoming; I'm in the lobby of a Howard Johnson's and I'm wearing a pink carnation.

Draft saved Draft deleted