1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police say Ray Rice is a big Lawrence Phillips fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Morris816

Morris816 Member

ESPN on training camp: "Look! It's Johnny Manziel!"

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought Bayless would be the one to go full-nutbags first.
    But I have plenty of confidence in his ability to catch up quickly.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Stephen A. in August 2012, after Chad Johnson was accused of head butting his wife:

There are plenty of instances where provocation comes into consideration, instigation comes into consideration, and I will be on the record right here on national television and say that I am sick and tired of men constantly being vilified and accused of things and we stop there. I'm saying, "Can we go a step further?" Since we want to dig all deeper into Chad Johnson, can we dig in deep to her?

http://deadspin.com/i-do-not-believe-women-provoke-violence-says-stephen-a-1611060016

I guess that's the lifelong commitment to treating women with respect that he was talking about today.

4. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

Pretty much 98 percent of ESPN is disgusting. It seems like they plan these Stephen A. Smith/Skip Bayless controversies just to get their name out there to watch Monday Night Football. You just have to believe every decision the network makes is based on ratings.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In a related development, puppy chases red ball.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile a cleaned up Jim Irsay in camp with The Colts

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Jesus. We all "get" what he is saying. But only a twisted mind would agree with it. Walk the fuck away. I don't care if a woman punches me and breaks my nose ... I'm not hitting her back. You just don't. People are saying he was misinterpreted? Nope. Women can provoke domestic violence is exactly what he was saying. And as someone who was raised in a household of women as well, I am sick to hear that someone from that background would think this way.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The more I read about this the more disgusted I am with Goodell's ruling. The league had an opportunity to make a statement and it made the wrong one. They are being far too tolerant of domestic violence.

I hope that doesn't get lost due to Stephen A. Smith's idiotic comments.

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Greg Hardy, in a similar situation to Rice, refused to answer questions about his domestic abuse case and, according to those at Panthers camp, seemed to show almost no remorse. So, it's contagious around the league.

And in other sports. Bobby Cox was honored with enshrinement at the Hall of Fame today. Nobody gathered how weird it was hearing Cox praise the wife he used to beat.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Goodell looks like a jackass. Lane Johnson suspended four games. Ray Rice two games. Going back to the horseshit congressional hearings about PEDs it seemed like the NFL was trying to make itself look good (and watch politicians piss on MLB) by saying how the league has had a testing policy in place for years while baseball did not (even though somehow, other than Shawne Merriman, star players in the NFL never test positive).

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We're doing too much sentence-comparing. It doesn't need to be measured opposite pot or PED suspensions.

Good sense would dictate that two games for beating one's SO is shameful in and of itself.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is, but the lack of consistency or reason in the punishments handed down by the league under Goodell's leadership is also an issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted