1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Russell Wilson is the kind of QB that might struggle to make plays for three-plus quarters until he throws a ridiculous, go-ahead TD pass on fourth down late in a big game.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kaepernick is better physically but Wilson has the
    ability to slow the game down and make better reads.
    Kap is that there yet as evidence of the ending to the past
    two seasons

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I have a high level of respect for Wilson, but do you think he could have a game similar to what Kaepernick had against the Packers two years ago? That being said, I'm more sold on Wilson than I am on Kaepernick. I'm just not completely convinced Kaepernick is smart enough to become a top 5 QB. He makes too many dumb mistakes.

Agree about being a bargain. I'm going to be really curious what kind of deal he signs a year from now.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a QB playing right now who's better at keeping a play alive than Russell Wilson. The guy never gets rattled, has that sixth sense about when to move and reset, and never stops looking for his receivers. Watching him scramble around to buy time is like when you played backyard ball as kids, and the super athletic kid was the all-time QB. You could rush him and make him run around, but never touch him no matter how long you chased him, and he'd finally just throw the ball 50 yards to his guy who's wide open because the DB got tired and quit.
    That's Russell Wilson.

5. Boom_70

The NFL was not prepared to defend the zone read or stretch plays 2 years ago.
    Big difference last year after DC's spent the winter working out new schemes.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You've outdone yourself with this one. Translation?

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

True, and it's tough to defend a player who you have limited film on and he'd only played a half season. Still, that performance was insane.

8. Boom_70

If Hard Knocks spends some time around Kroy Biermann and his wife that
    might spice up what seems to be a pretty bland group. Caught their reality show
    and his wife acts like high rent trailer trash but is anything but dull. I
    give their marriage a year before it implodes.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The difference between Wilson and Brady and their first contracts is that they were under two different CBAs. If I'm not mistaken, Brady was eligible for restricted free agency going into the final year of his rookie contract, so it made sense for the Patriots to get his deal extended before RFA came along and teams would be tempted to sign him to an offer sheet.

But the new CBA, draft picks gets four-year deals to start, with the fifth-year option for first-round picks only, and you play that deal out. The only players eligible for RFA are those who signed as undrafted rookie free agents. So Wilson has to play out all four years, unless Seattle chooses to give him an extension earlier.

On the other hand, Wilson will have an advantage over QBs like Andrew Luck and RG3. As those players were first-round picks, their teams will just pick up the option year and be done with it.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is funny that you think the Colts are just going to pick up Andrew Luck's option year and that will be that. Yeah, totally makes sense for them to send him into free agency.

And Wilson's contract can be reopened after Year 3, so although the Seahawks could indeed make Wilson play out his rookie deal, the almost 100 percent likelihood is he gets a new contract after this season (as Kaepernick did after his third year).

When educating/condescending, be accurate.

11. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Panthers stud receiver Kelvin Benjamin needed an MRI on his knee today. If he's out for the season, they are screwed.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Kelvin Benjamin isn't/wasn't going to make much of a difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted