1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 6, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Either Romo or Rivers will make it.
    I'll bet a large sum of money right on this board.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I'm more concerned about how much the QB can do to make his team a regular playoff contender, particularly with the talent surrounding him.

I really need to pull up my Keltner list as modified for football again.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True, but if you can only take seven per year and you have a glut of quarterbacks for even two or three years, it'll create a backlog at other positions that needs to be cleared up eventually. And the longer Romo goes without getting in, the more people will be reminded of his playoff shortcomings and how much better some of his peers have been overall.
    Not saying he doesn't get in at some point, especially if we hit a lull in no-brainer HOF guys. Just saying he doesn't need to wait by the phone the first few years he's eligible.

4. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Why would he wait by the phone?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We missed you, NDJ. Where you been?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's certainly possible because they both should (barring injury) have a few years left to make a statement. But based on performance to date, no way.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With all the nerds in sports these days crunching numbers I'm surprised nobody had been able to put together a formula rating passers throughout history based on the tougher rules for the defense. Figure the hands-off rule on DBs has helped keep INTs below where they normally would be given the amount of throws QBs are making. It might also explain how the NFL seems to churn QBs with increasing frequency as shortcomings are exposed more quickly and harder to minimize with a running game.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pat Bowlen has Alzheimer's. Team placed in a trust; will be run by the team President.

He's only 70-years-old, and has been struggling with it for a few years already.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26199148/pat-bowlen-resigns-control-denver-broncos-acknowledges-dealing-alzheimers-disease

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Moon? Man . . . turnovers MATTER.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not a surprise. One of the worst-kept secrets out here. Still, very sad and all the prayers to him and his family.

30 years. Two Super Bowl titles. Six AFC titles. Two other appearances in AFC titles games. Two unbelieveable seasons that could have meant Super Bowls if not for heartbreaking home losses in the playoffs.

Everything you could ask for as a fan from an owner. The goal is always the Super Bowl and winning it. And the resources were provided to do that.

Except for that two-year McDouchebag Era, but we're all entitled to a mistake, and it was quickly corrected.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

People liked to make fun of Bowlen standing on the sideline in a full-length fur, but he's got to be one of the better NFL owners of the last 25+ years.

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Bowlen has been a terrific owner. He learned from his mistakes, he made some tough decisions through the years, but the Broncos mostly benefited from them when all was said and done. Plus everything I've read about him indicates he's a class act... and most of all, he doesn't try to make himself the center of attention and lets those who work for him get that attention.

My best wishes to him and his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted