1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure it also wobbled when he threw it. :D

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Speaking of people determined to show us their ignorance as often as possible, thank you so much for chiming in, YF.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No shit. Sure, life has gone on in Seattle, LA and any other place that has lost a team. But many would argue that life is not as enjoyable. Sports teams can be a big part of the identity of a city and are definitely an asset. Not so much so that the public should pay huge amounts to keep them, but they do matter.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Ex-quarterback McNabb spends day in Arizona jail

MESA, Ariz. (AP) — Former NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb was released Thursday from an Arizona jail after serving a one-day sentence for a DUI arrest late last year.
    Records released by West Mesa Justice Court show McNabb served his time Wednesday and was released Thursday morning.
    McNabb, 37, was arrested Dec. 15 on the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community east of Phoenix, according to court records.
    A copy of the citation shows McNabb was stopped on the Loop 101 freeway just after 3 a.m. and radar clocked his Range Rover at 81 mph in a 65-mph zone. He also was cited for DUI, but no information about blood-alcohol level was on the citation.
    McNabb pleaded guilty on March 27 and nine days of his sentence was suspended.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You're not in any position to be lecturing somebody about political economy, little one.
    You're a freaking bozo with no cachet whatsoever.
    Get a life, as Mark said.

6. outofplace

Stick to stalking me in IMs rather than mucking up the NFL thread (again) with your foolishness, troll.

if you don't like what I'm posting, contribute an alternative. I know it would be out of the norm for you to contribute, but I can hope.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

All quiet on the western front.
    We have a draft in a few weeks, dorkus.
    We can discuss the 49ers' wreck of an offseason, and the hubris involved with that.
    Or maybe we can talk about the Steelers- not.

8. outofplace

Sports have become year-round endeavors, fart boy. I thought a self-proclaimed "expert" such as yourself would know that.

There is plenty to discuss. We haven't even gotten into the Jets signing Chris Johnson. He should help them, but I wonder just how much he has left. Also, there was the rumor that he has arthritis in his knees. Not much steam behind that one, but enough that he felt he had to address it with a denial.

Or you could have actually addressed the topic many of us were discussing rather than just attack one of the posters in the discussion.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

I'm not getting back into the Atlanta stadium project.
    I see Johnson like a Chris Warren- had a few great seasons but a very soft player.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not enough people felt the way you do, Mark. The Thrashers needed a new start, and Winnipeg has shown that organization more support/love during its three seasons up there than Atlanta showed the Thrashers during their entire existence in Atlanta. It's not better ice for the organization in Winnipeg ... it's better everything, never mind that Gary Bettman was a fool to allow the Jets to be moved to the desert.

Cannot tell you how many times I tuned into Southeast Division matchups in Atlanta, only to see thousands upon thousands of empty seats. I feel bad for the hardcore fans in Atlanta - they're everywhere, not just North of the Border - but there weren't enough of them attending enough games to make enough of a difference.

I'd really like to know what Major League Soccer was thinking putting an expansion franchise in Atlanta. The city, as a whole, doesn't care enough about the Falcons, Hawks and Braves ... at least that's what we see from the outside. Too many Braves playoff games had empty seats. What on Earth possessed MLS to think the city would suddenly show up in droves for soccer?

I hope the soccer fans prove me completely wrong, but I won't be holding my breath.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sure. But at what price? When schools are closing and roads are crumbling because of budget deficits, how do you justify spending millions on a new stadium?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sam,

I don't know about the MLS thing, either. Not a soccer guy and I don't know what makes some of their markets successful.

Thrashers: when you're the new kid in town, you need to win early and often to establish a foothold. The Thrashers never did that. If they had, I think they could have been every bit as successful as Tampa, Nashville or Carolina. Falcons, Hawks and Braves fans have always been a bit fair-weathered. The Braves are a strange phenomenon: so many poor seasons and the low attendance one would expect. Then a few good years, people got on the bandwagon and then sort of started to take them for granted.

Draft saved Draft deleted