1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Atlanta ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jan 25, 2014.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was thinking earlier today how racist decisions made 40/50/60 years ago are still having ripple effects now. That story takes an optimistic tone, but as someone who has lived in the metro area all his life, it is really hard for me to see the transportation problem getting solved.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Problem is I'll be in Montreal the night before. But Augusta is the one event on my bucket list.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's a really small bucket.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not really a list if there's only one thing on it.

5. TwoGloves

I've pretty much emptied it. You only live once.

6. TwoGloves

OK, some thoughts:

1) Went to the Varsity. Not bad. Chili dog reminded me of the ones I ate as a kid. Not goupy chili sauce but the dry meat. Onion rings were OK but not crispy enough.

2) Went to Mary Mac's too. Wasn't terribly impressed. Fried chicken was OK. Sweet potato souffle was outstanding.

3) Stayed at the Fairfield downtown. Never again. For a Marriott it was a dump and when the valet gave me my car to go the game, he kept my keys (it was a push-button start) so when I got to the arena, I was stuck after I shut the car off and looked for the keys on the dash. Called the hotel and they asked "Do you need your keys?" No, Einstein. I'll just push it back to the hotel. Idiots!

4) Augusta was very cool. TV does not do that course justice. But it sucked that I hit a jack-knifed semi halfway there and it took an hour to go about four miles.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Vortex has great burgers. Have had a lot of good things about Antico's Pizza.

I mean, you gotta do the Varsity. Just so you can say the words FO walking. You want finer dining, and you have piles of cash to burn, Bones is well regarded. Rathbun's is very good too, I hear. I've always enjoyed going to Hal's on Old Ivy. Heard good things about Fogo de Chao. I used to go to a Vietnamese place on 10th that was great. Don't know if it's there anymore.

Aquarium is great, from what I've heard.

Underground Atlanta is nothing like it used to be back in the 70s. Avoid.

Want to do something kinda strange? Go to the fourth floor of the state Capitol. They have a museum of state oddities that will freak you out a little bit.

8. TwoGloves

Stayed at the Fairfield right next to the Underground. Didn't look like a great area and that was the worst Marriott I've ever stayed at. Avoid at all costs.

9. TwoGloves

Good news. I complained to Marriott about the awful hotel and the Fairfield gave me -- wait for it! -- 45,000 bonus points. Yes, you read that correctly: 45,000!

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Burn 'me quick before Marriott devalues them even further!

Draft saved Draft deleted