1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Eh should have had Brie distract Nikki into losing to AJ. That way, Paige can claim she didn't lose the belt and continue chasing AJ. Then, the loss would have added to Nikki's claims that Brie is only out for herself.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No one's commenting on the main event? Really?
    OK. I guess I'll chime in. I loved it. You "redeem" Cena, which we all knew they would, in a way that doesn't damage Lesnar and actually legitimizes their need of a HITC blow off match at the next PPV. Simultaneously, it builds a couple of strands for Rollins, either with Cena or Lesnar, and was a genuinely surprising twist on the MITB contract. With what they're working with right now, timing-wise, in the run-up to Mania, I think it was the perfect ending to that match.
    Thoughts?

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I thought it was the WWE basically admitting they didn't know what the fuck to do, and things are on pause for now. I also think they should have had Cena win clean, or Lesnar win clean - The crowd was really hot for this match, and I think it's going to be diminishing returns for the eventual third match. The match itself was really good, and booked in a way that made Lesnar still look strong even though Cena was competitive, but it was such a poor finish that it left a bad taste in my mouth.

If they wanted to involve Rollins, they should have used it as a way to tease out Cena's conflicted feelings some more. Have Cena hesitate at first when Rollins broke it up - As if he was calculating that he could probably beat Rollins easier than Lesnar. Heck, feed that line to the announce team even; it seems perfect for JBL to say. Instead, the interference at the end served no purpose except to prolong this angle, and I don't think it's going to grow in intensity unless they actually do the unthinkable and turn Cena.

4. Baron Scicluna

What they should have done instead is have the ref get KOed, or have Heyman distract him, then Rollins come out and go after Lesnar, only to have Cena be stopping him because he didn't want to win with any help. Instead, Rollins manages to hurt Cena's arm further, maybe with the briefcase.

Lesnar recovers, Rollins sees him wake up, and decides to run. Lesnar stares him away, then turns and puts the Kimura lock back on Cena as the ref gets back in the picture. Cena can't get out, and, as the announcers keep talking about his mantra of never giving up, finally taps out, to everyone's shock.

This leads to more epic promos by Heyman about BRRROCK LESNAR being the One who made John Cena ... GIVE UP! It leads to Cena having further doubts planted in his mind about his belief system, even though everyone knows he only did it because Rollins had attacked him. And it keeps the briefcase on Rollins, who shows that, like a good chickenshit heel, he's afraid of Lesnar one on one.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

My first reaction was that it was brilliant to redeem Cena without having him SuperCena the title away from the monster. I expected Ambrose to run in on Rollins instead of Cena, and at first I thought this was setting up Cena/Rollins.

Thinking about it later on now, it's probably more of a pause setting up Cena/Brock four and I like that less. The ideas you guys posted about Rollins running in with the ref out or in a no-DQ situation and making Cena choose would been better story telling for sure.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ambrose didn't pay his cab fare, Rollins steals a car. I bet Roman Reigns is hijacking a truckload of cigarettes on I-24 as we speak.
    For a bunch of guys who started their careers dedicated to bringing "justice" to the WWE, the members of the Shield are doing a lot to jack up the crime rate in Tennessee.

7. Baron Scicluna

Heh heh. Henry comes out, all upset, apologizes says he can be picked on all he want, and that the crowd can do the "what" chant.

Funny.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

For the record, the WWE's booking of the title fight Sunday made no sense to me whatsoever.

Why build up Lesnar that much only to have him nearly drop the title to Cena? I see the need to make Cena look much better than the last time but I really think the best thing they could've done was have him tap or pass out to the pain.

Anyone have any thoughts on the IC title being switched around so much? Maybe they should bring in another challenger to spice it up and have all three of them win it in a cycle of intereference/distractions/cheating etc.

I have mixed feelings on the multiple changes.

9. sgreenwell

The IC title match was kind of a trainwreck to me. First, I had no fucking clue who those musicians were, and they didn't really add much on commentary. Cole constantly trying to pump them up distracted from the match, which should have been the focus, given how well Miz and Ziggler can go. And the title change, meh. I felt like Ziggler was the perfect guy to carry it for a while.

Contrast all of that with the US Title match. Sheamus isn't a guy that normally gets much love from the smark, but I thought he and Cesaro had a great match, and they were both working stiff as hell, from the sounds of it. Not that that's a requirement for a great match, but I thought they had the clear match of the night, given that the end of the main event was a bit of a cluster.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Another quick thing from RAW:

The Bunny that is with Adam Rose ... I wouldn't be surprised if that's revealed to be Sammy Zayn.

Titus O'Neal went on NXT last week to bitch about the NXT guys taking away time from him. It'd be interesting if it does turn out to be Zayn. He's ready for the call-up. Plus, I really want to see another Cesaro-Zayn match.

11. sgreenwell

I should probably try to catch up on Raw before commenting in this thread sometimes... heh...

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Here is what I think my understanding of the current programs:

- No decisive victory for either Cena or Lesnar as to set up Hell in a Cell
    - Rollins interferred to serve that purpose, but to also give Cena a "TV program" because Cena is not sniffing the WWEWHC anytime soon
    - Rollins still feuding with Ambrose for their main program
    - Fortunately, Reigns is out for a while. Because otherwise what was the plan? Rollins feuds with Cena, Ambrose, and Reigns all at once? The only way having three faces gang up on one heel is to have the Authority continue to protect Rollins? But where does a story like that lead? They get tired of his shit and feed him to the faces? What does that solve? I could understand if it was Rollins versus any one of those three. Then the odds are always against the face, making final victory that much better. But three versus one plus Orton and Kane as Authority lackeys just leads us to shitty 6-man tag matches. Hell, even with Reigns gone, we'll still get shitty tag matches with Cena killing time between Brock appearances, Ambrose being dragged down by a lousy program facing Rollins and a boring, lifeless Orton.
    - Orton is floundering? Why the hell isn't he given something better to do? Eventually, I'd love an Orton/Lesnar feud.
    - Wyatt Family is going through the unexplainable, mandatory cooling-off period
    - Bellas still feuding in such an awful build: seriously, do we have to continually have the awful promos? Can't they just fuck with each other's matches like everybody else does? It's just how wrestling fueds work, there's no shame in doing it. Why didn't Brie cost Nikki the triple threat match on Sunday? So we could get another bullshit promo? This is awful.

Am I just an idiot or is creative really all over the map right now? It just feels like a massive clusterfuck of a hold over plan until January.

Draft saved Draft deleted