1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Dec 30, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not sure Anderson would be welcomed back, either.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Trips said in an interview, although of course, never say never, that there was little interest in most of the TNA guys, because they could develop their own with NXT. He said that except for the internet fans, most of their audience wouldn't know much of the TNA crew.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Angle might be the only one capable of stopping Rusev at this point (even with a broken freakin neck)

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I could see Bully Ray, *maybe* the Hardys if they felt both were clean and reliable. Perhaps Angle on a legends deal. Anyone else would have to go through developmental -- EC3/Derrick Bateman left on good terms, I think, but Aries probably would go to New Japan first.

Anderson's allegedly on Vince's do-not-call list. He'll get a meeting around the same time as the reanimated corpse of Chris Benoit.

The rest are probably looking at indies and possibly Global Force Wrestling, Jarrett's project.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I don't want to see Velvet in WWE. Means she could eventually become desperate enough to disrobe for money.

6. Mystery Meat II

I'm guessing the gentlemen's clubs of the greater Orlando area are about to get a few guest star appearances.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The thing with Vince is that he doesn't ever really have a Do Not Call list though - he's always willing to make a deal if he thinks he can make money on a guy. Hell, he patched things up with the Ultimate Warrior, and Hulk Hogan multiple times, and there was movement on the Randy Savage front before Macho Man died. However, Kennedy is probably in the awkward position of not being a big enough name for Vince to give a shit about making nice at some point. While he was TNA world champ at one point, his profile is probably lower than it was when he left WWE.

Re: Triple H's statement, it strikes me a bit as gamesmanship. I'm sure they're not interested in any of them at what they were making in TNA. I'm sure they're interested if they're willing to get paid the WWE minimum, i.e. whatever guys in developmental or NXT are making. While AJ Styles made as much as he made in TNA in the indies, if there is a sudden flood of guys available, the rest of them aren't.

8. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

I'm pretty sure the WCW made more money than ever before when Hogan turned heel. What is the WWE so afraid of with Cena? He would honestly do great as a heel and I think the fans would eat it up. They don't need a direct "face" of the company to carry things on the good guy side. Just keep things interesting.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because they wouldn't make more money.

10. Mystery Meat II

Except that Warrior and Savage, the two guys he wanted the least to do with, were uncontacted until the very end. There was never a serious push to bring either back as active competitors. Plus they were far bigger stars than Anderson/Kennedy. His comparison is Marty Janetty or Jeff Jarrett in terms of burning bridges once and for all.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Great match to open Raw between Cesaro and Cena

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I could see WWE bringing in the Dudleys, Angle and maybe the Hardys as possible Hall of Fame material, if nothing else. Even having been away for five years or more, all of them are still instantly recognizable to most fans (especially with the Network to showcase their best work). They could find a niche as an RVD type, a well-known upper mid-card jobber who'll make guys look good.
    Agree, though, that none of the homegrown TNA talent would have any appeal. WWE is cranking out a lot of good young talent right now through the developmental program. It's understandable they'd want to give those guys a shot before letting someone at roughly the same level cut in line.
    Then there's older guys like Styles and Daniels who just don't fit either category -- not enough mainstream name recognition to make an instant splash, too much experience and too expensive for either side to be happy sticking them in NXT purgatory.

Draft saved Draft deleted