1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL draft thread (no longer too early)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 18, 2013.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Re: (Way too early) 2014 NFL draft thread

Hell, I used to get up at 6 a.m. to watch CFL games before Spider-Man came on. Doesn't mean it was good football. I have some sentimental love for the USFL, and there were some good players, but the overall talent just wasn't there. Now, the XFL? THAT was a joke.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I loved me some Bandit Ball!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of my friends' uncles was the receivers coach for the Oakland Invaders. We went to several games. Granted, I was a kid and didn't know any better, but I have fond memories of those games. I also have both USFL football card sets, which are both worth a nice chunk of change. I had a chance to sell them in the early 90s and should have. They were worth a lot more then than they are now.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dude- do everyone a favor and get off the Internet.
    That will make the moderators sane, anyhow.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hush, fart boy. The adults are discussing the USFL.

6. Mizzougrad96

I thought I remember reading that because of the wording of the contract, he got a decent chunk of it.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He got $4.8 million, according to this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24138206/flashback-steve-youngs-43year-40million-usfl-contract

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the USFL was about 10-15 years before it's time. If it had been started when the money from cable television rights was substantial, rather than in '84 when cable was just starting, I think it might have made it.

I am not sure waht people mean by "bad" foorball. Were teams as good as the NFL. Of course not. Were USFL teams better than NCAA teams? Sure. And I don't think rememeber anyone complaining about the quality of the Florida State- Auburn championship game.

9. Mizzougrad96

It wasn't the NFL, but it wasn't the XFL either... I remember watching Bobby Hebert and Anthony Carter that last year in Oakland.

There were four future Hall of Famers as players and two as coaches, and that's not counting people like Herschel Walker, Mike Rozier, Doug Flutie, Marcus Dupree, Brian Sipe, Doug Williams, Joe Cribbs... Big name coaches too...

It wasn't like the league was filled with players who couldn't hang on NFL rosters, which has been the case with every league since.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think it could be the same thing that happened to Aaron Rodgers. Teams have been looking at Bridgewater for so long that they've almost talked themselves out of drafting him, or become more intrigued with guys who they haven't been scouting as much for the last couple years. It's almost like a mediocre pro day may have given teams the reason they were looking for to let him slide.

That doesn't always happen. Andrew Luck was scouted more than anyone and he still went No. 1, but Luck was considered a once-in-a-generation prospect. He was considered the best QB prospect since Elway.

I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Rodgers, but I would bet that Bridgewater will be better as a rookie than Manziel, Bortles and Carr.

11. Mizzougrad96

PK has in his MMQB column this week that Rick Smith prefers Khalil Mack over Clowney. It wouldn't surprise me if that's a smokescreen to try to get Jacksonville to move up since a lot of people think the Jaguars desperately want either Mack or Clowney and don't want to see them go 1-2.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I saw a while back that Herschel Walker believes he should be in the PFHoF when you account for his achievements in a league where one of the teams finished its season at a high school stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted