1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edits on a longform Hackenberg feature

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by trav4freedom, Oct 14, 2013.

1. trav4freedom

trav4freedom New Member

Anyone want to provide some feedback on this piece?

Ideally you'd like a few days to do the reporting, hammer a first draft out, then come back to it a day later. I planned it out a week ahead of time but was limited to the day I could go down due to my other beat responsibilities.

So I took a day trip down to the school that Thursday, drove back, transcribed nearly three hours worth of tape, went through pages of notes and wrote all night and into Friday afternoon.

It ran on Saturday.

http://www.centredaily.com/2013/09/21/3799119/true-freshman-qb-christian-hackenberg.html

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was about 7 -8 paragraphs in thinking I was not on right story as I was reading about bricks and not Christian Hackenberg. Not a criticism but just how I felt. A few more paragraphs and it became clear how the bricks fit the story.

Overall enjoyed as I had been wanting to learn more about Hackenberg since watching him on Saturday night.

I also learned something else that I never knew before -- that Plaxico Burress attended Fork Union Military. You
    would have thought that he would have learned the proper way to carry a gun.

Draft saved Draft deleted