1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trail Blazers beat reporter, The Oregonian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Seth Prince, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Seth Prince

Seth Prince New Member

POSITION: Trail Blazers beat reporter, The Oregonian
    PAY: Commensurate with experience.
    JOB DESCRIPTION: The Oregonian is hiring a beat reporter to join our coverage team on the Trail Blazers, which has one of the most passionate and educated fanbases in the NBA. We want someone with the competitive drive to help us remain the leading source of Trail Blazers news, serving readers digitally focused updates and regular enterprise-driven must-reads. A self-starter who will expand on our tradition of telling readers not only what happens on and off the court, but why it’s happening and most importantly what it means. Priorities are to break news, set the agenda on the beat, and build, maintain and engage an active and hungry online audience. Preferred candidates will have at least five years of experience covering a primary beat at a sports-focused dotcom or major metro newspaper. We hope to fill this position during training camp in early October. Send a resume, references, cover letter and five clips or links to an online portfolio of work to sports editor Seth Prince at sprince@oregonian.com by Sept. 23. Please put “Trail Blazers reporter” in the subject line.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I'm hearing it's done. Anyone know who got it?

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

It appears Jason Quick is going back to the Blazers.

Jason Quick ‏@jwquick

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed covering this Oregon football team. What a class bunch of young men. They were fun, engaging & interesting

Jason Quick ‏@jwquick

Part of me wishes I would stick on them to see what will probably be a memorable run next season. But ... I am headed back to the Blazers.

4. spud

spud Member

Sounds positively thrilled.

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

So the question now is who did the Oregonian hire to cover Oregon football?

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

[Waits patiently while twiddling thumbs] Maybe that posting will come soon?

7. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved one of their other No. 2 people over. I know Schnell would do a great job with that beat.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Young gun Andrew Greif, formerly of the Corvallis Gazette-Times and The Register-Guard copy desks plus a contributor for Dime, has been on the beat with Quick since the summer. Maybe they're going with one writer?

9. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

With no publicity for this position (unlike for the Blazers job), my bet is that it will be an internal hire.

10. CNY

CNY Member

Well, it's not going to be her. She posted on Twitter that she's headed to Sports Illustrated:

https://twitter.com/LindsayRae19/status/421369950758899712

Draft saved Draft deleted