1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Vegetarians and Vegans Think They Are Better Than Everyone Else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 7, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Since other foods were being discussed, my somewhat pointless contribution:

I remember the first time I heard about whole wheat spaghetti, I thought that was crazy. A few years later, I decided to try it. It was awesome.

I now make a spaghetti dish that includes an organic spaghetti sauce that is the best dish I've ever made. The sauce has extra virgin olive oil as an ingredient.

Anyway, whole wheat pasta is great. If they ever make a vegetarian lasagna with whole wheat pasta, I will have to seek it out.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2014/07/lay-off-almond-milk-ignorant-hipsters

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We only have whole wheat pasta at my house. Made the switch about seven years ago.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In my experience, not all whole wheat pasta is equal. A lot of brands cook up tough and grainy tasting. It turns a lot of people off to it. My favorite brand is Bionaturae -- it's pretty easy to find around here. I don't know about the rest of the country.

All things being equal, if you like the taste of whole wheat pasta, it is a no brainer. Putting aside any debate about whether complex carbs are "healthier," the insoluble fiber alone has been shown to be better for digestion.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This church isn't impressed.

[​IMG]

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For France's vegetarians: 30 percent cheaper with "Inglorious Fruits & Veggies" ...

http://www.realfarmacy.com/ugly-food/

8. 3_Octave_Fart

http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-pros-and-cons-of-going-vegetarian,36571/

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Isn't that awesome? That campaign has been in place since the spring and from what I understand the French have literally been eating it up. I believe that America actually tosses more produce before it even leaves the field than any country. We have a few large buyers that largely control our food ecosystem. They can dictate the terms of what they buy, and there are a couple of trade associations that have dictated that a fruit has to be a certain size or color to be considered "grade A," and those standards have been adopted.

If it doesn't get that stamp of approval, the farmers get a much lower price. So often they don't even bother to harvest a field if it is going to mean the work won't be paid back in sales that earn enough. It leaves perfectly good food to waste away.

I understand why buyers want standards -- when you buy in bulk, you want to know what you are getting. But we have put what is (in my opinion at least) a ridiculous premium on the wrong standards. It would be fantastic if retailers adopt a similar program as Intermarche's and allow what is perfectly good food that ends up wasted to find a market that is probably waiting for it.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12 gazpacho recipes from the Times:

[​IMG]

Gazpacho is so easy that children old enough to manage a food processor or a blender can make it themselves. But whether or not you have pint-size sous chefs at your disposal, a recipe that requires minimal effort and in most instances no heat is always a good thing this time of year.

So, here is that ubiquitous summer standby done a few ways that you’re probably familiar with and a bunch more that you’re probably not. (If Thai melon gazpacho is already in your rotation, good for you, and I surrender.) The “recipes” here amount to little more than lists of ingredients and quantities, because the method doesn’t bear repeating 12 times: Combine everything in a blender or food processor, process to your desired texture, chill in the refrigerator if you like, garnish and eat.

You do need to decide a few things, and texture is one; for a completely smooth soup, turn on the machine and let it run. If you prefer some chunks, pulse the machine — this works best with a food processor — or if you’re a stickler for precision, purée about half of the ingredients, chop the rest by hand and stir them together. I’ve noted the cases in which I think smooth or chunky is preferable (kale and olive gazpacho is a train wreck if it isn’t smooth), but do as you like. Olive oil is an integral part of “real” gazpacho (the fat has to come from somewhere), so I tend to gravitate toward the upper limit, but none of these soups will suffer tremendously if you use less.

Most of these include bread, which should be day-old and crustless, though defying either or both of those “rules” won’t kill you. Keep in mind that the colder you serve your gazpacho, the less salty it will taste; you can intentionally oversalt before chilling, but I would just salt to taste at the last minute. It makes things even simpler.

nyti.ms/1zD13GQ

11. 3_Octave_Fart

If old Bubba can do it, so can you.

http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-08-2013/bill-clinton-vegan.3.html

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's not vegan.

Draft saved Draft deleted