1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This was pure network thinking at its anti-finest. That Spanish language announcer is loud and popular. Gus is loud. Therefore, Gus should do soccer, too/

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Union/Sounders on GolTV right now for Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He was awful. Announcing soccer is knowing when not to speak, how to convey information with a minimum of words and knowing how to modulate your excitement level as the situation warrants. He failed on all accounts, mostly because he simply didn't know the game as well as tons of other USA-based announcers.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You have to give Johnson some credit for recognizing he couldn't do the job. But it's obvious Fox wanted one of their main announcers on the World Cup, much like the keep sending out Joe Buck.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Maybe Gus can join Buck next year at the U.S. Open. He'd be great behind the 17th green.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Mesut Ozil, "a Picasso hanging in the bathroom."

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/9/17/6328929/arsenal-vs-borussia-dortmund-this-keeps-happening-why

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Don Garber vs. Bruce Arena, who ya got?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/09/17/don-garber-fines-bruce-arena-for-comments-about-mls-handling-of-kljestan-case/

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gus is not my cup of tea for sure in any arena. But you can do a lot worse than Joe Buck. C'mon, it's soccer.

I realize this will be an unpopular opinion, but Buck's unobtrusiveness may be just perfect for the sport. The problem with footy announcing, which is more applicable for south of the border, is that too many talents try to become the star of the show.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'll buy that. I'm not a huge Buck guy, but I could see his style working for soccer.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As expected, Wembley will host the Euro 2020 semis and final. Germany stood aside in return for backing to host Euro 2024.

http://www.espnfc.us/european-championship/story/2044237/wembley-stadium-to-host-euro-2020-semifinals-and-final

Russia and Azerbaijan? Really?

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

New MLS logo:
    [​IMG]
    Um. OK?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

O/U until United sacks Van Gaal?

Draft saved Draft deleted