Author Topic: ESPN reportedly hiring beat writers for all 32 teams  (Read 6886 times)

Offline JimmyK

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:10:48 AM by JimmyK »

Offline Mark2010

Re: ESPN reportedly hiring beat writers for all 32 teams
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me. They've gone nuts over the NFL at the expense of other stuff.

Offline Armchair_QB

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »
Would be good to know if these are full-time positions or glorified stringers.

Kurt Cobain is watching this and going "See? This is why I killed myself."

"Kyle Orton can live long and eat a dick." - CareBear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuFJoexdlU

Reasons to keep Les Miles: he is clearly the luckiest motherfucker to ever live.

Reasons to fire Les Miles: everything else

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »
The NFL is the only sport where they could even begin to justify this...

It's still not necessary. If they do what CBS did and pay 32 people $400 a week for 20 weeks, it's cheap enough to justify. I don't see them hiring 32 people at a real salary, even if they're still technically freelancers...
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Offline TheSportsPredictor

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
Cleveland already has an ESPN-affiliated radio station that bills itself as ESPN 850. They have their own Browns beat reporter. Why wouldn't he just become the ESPN beat reporter and post his stuff on ESPN.com first?

Offline boundforboston

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »
And they also have several regional sites (ESPN Chicago, ESPN New York) that have people who already cover those teams. I'd also imagine the divisional bloggers have some experience covering one of the teams in the division they're assigned to. (Does this move mean no more divisional bloggers?)

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
And they also have several regional sites (ESPN Chicago, ESPN New York) that have people who already cover those teams. I'd also imagine the divisional bloggers have some experience covering one of the teams in the division they're assigned to. (Does this move mean no more divisional bloggers?)

A couple of the divisional bloggers just signed new contracts.
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Offline da man

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
ESPN has something like six guys covering the Cowboys in some way or another (including columnists).

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
I'm told salaries and benefits for all 32 positions..

This will be fucking nuts... Since I'm guessing ESPN will poach writers from papers in most situations, there will be a lot of papers scrambling to hire writers right before the season...

Offline Mark2010

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
Is there much overlap between the broadcast arm and the online staff? I haven't noticed too much.

What Predictor, Boston and Mizzou said is valid.... they already have a lot of resources in place in quite a few NFL markets. They might need to bulk up in a few cities, but it's not like they'd be starting from scratch if they don't want to.

And, as Mizzou pointed out, they could probably get by with stringers who work a lot from July-January and not much the other part of the year. That seems to be a trend that makes good economic sense from a hiring standpoint.

Offline Mark2010

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »

This will be fucking nuts... Since I'm guessing ESPN will poach writers from papers in most situations, there will be a lot of papers scrambling to hire writers right before the season...

Isn't that what they did with some of the college positions? Go after beat guys from various dailies who already lived in the area and had connections?

If that's the case, I wonder is working for ESPN.com really better than a major daily? Is the money better or just more exposure? (Of course, in this day, anyone can access just about any site from anywhere, so you can work for the Tuscaloosa News and have your stuff read all over the world, just like ESPN.com).

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »
If they pay anything close to what they did for the lowest-paid college bloggers ($80K), it's safe to say there will be a mass exodus.

Offline JimmyHoward33

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
I can't imagine its actually 32 new positions.....they already have Mike Reiss for the Patriots and probably someone similar with the other regional sites as mentioned before (NY, Chicago, Dallas?).

Still 25 new positions is pretty big.

Uncle.Ruckus

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
The Bears have Michael C. Wright.

Offline 93Devil

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 04:50:47 PM »
I can't imagine its actually 32 new positions.....they already have Mike Reiss for the Patriots and probably someone similar with the other regional sites as mentioned before (NY, Chicago, Dallas?).

Still 25 new positions is pretty big.

They play baseball and football in September. If they were serious about this, they would have one for each.

And this is a huge salvo against CBSsports and all the others.
"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." -- Vince Lombardi

Offline steveu

• I love SportsJournalists.com!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 05:06:18 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me. They've gone nuts over the NFL at the expense of other stuff.
And when half of the current SC is devoted to the NBA Finals, you pretty much know where MLB's coverage has gone. I may give Fox Sports a try when it debuts. Either that or just switch to MLB Network.
"Would you like to shoot him now or wait 'til you get home?" -- Bugs Bunny

Offline H.L. Mencken

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 05:49:10 PM »
I'd be STUNNED if these jobs offered benefits, MizzouGrad96. That's not the way ESPN rolls.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

Offline SockPuppet

• You'll get nothing, and like it!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
College bloggers are getting 80k to 100k with no benefits. Based on how much ESPN requires of those folks - it's year-round cranking - it's a gig that won't make you rich but it will make you tired.
Be quick but don't hurry.
Don't confuse activity for achievement.
“CAN YOU STOP TRYING TO WRITE LIKE CHARLIE PIERCE, BECAUSE YOU FUCKING CAN’T.” (anonymous Esquire editor)

Offline johngregory

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »
Have there been any job postings put up for these openings?

Offline Kid Presentable

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »
I heard 19 new hires, since 13 will be the divisional bloggers and the already-existing sites in Boston, Dallas, Chicago, NY, LA.

Offline old_tony

• Nobody knocks off old_tony
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Jason Wilde covers the Packers for the Milwaukee ESPN radio station's website. Does he just keep doing what he's doing? Does he get more money? If ESPN.com hires him, does he stop working for the radio station and its website. Or does ESPN.com hire someone else who then competes with the local ESPN radio station and its website? A lot of interesting things to shake out in the next month or so.
"Prior to Capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man." -- Walter E. Williams

If you like your Constitution you can keep your Constitution ... suckers!!

Offline wheels89

• Pour down center ... AGAIN!!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »
I know a couple people who interviewed -- positions are on a contract basis WITH benefits.
Also as someone earlier said, it is for 19 spots since the regionals and division bloggers are already on board.

Offline Alma

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:28 AM »

Absolutely. What else could ESPN do on such brisk notice? Find prospects to develop? I'm not of the belief that ESPN's newspaper poach has generally paid that great of dividends, either, in departments below the magazine/longform folks, who've been selected with evident great care. A lot of the column work at ESPN is a bore. Many of the bloggers -- college or pro -- are workmanlike, but not distinctive.

And it's not nuts - it's ESPN. It fully expects to have most Americans (by way of all cable/satellite companies) over a barrel on cable fees whether those Americans want ESPN or not. And those fees, when all added up, are fierce.

What interests me is how ESPN is selects these folks without advertising the jobs anywhere. I suppose its EEOC compliant if you just never tell anyone the job is open, but this complaint about "How the hell do you write for ESPN?" has come back to me through others several times. The "how the hell do you write for Grantland?" has come up, too. Clearly, these jobs exist. Clearly, they're interviewing for them. Why doesn't a job listing exist?

Perhaps the many ESPN writers on this board will explain.
"Your hiding place isn't watertight. Life trickles in from the outside, and you're forced to react."

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 05:56:56 AM »
I'd be STUNNED if these jobs offered benefits, MizzouGrad96. That's not the way ESPN rolls.

Nothing about this makes any sense... The ESPN Chicago and ESPN Dallas and ESPN Boston stuff makes sense, this does not.

This is the way the benefits question was answered. Apparently, this is similar to how Yahoo does it for "full-time freelancers" or whatever you want to call them. You do not get benefits directly through the company, but the company gets you a discounted rate on benefits that would be the same as the way most of us get it through our employers, where you pay a certain amount a month... That's how the bloggers at ESPN get their benefits, or at least how the two I'm friends with do. I had it explained to me when I interviewed for a NFL blogger job several years ago, but I would be lying if I said I was paying close attention...

Offline Mira

• Boing!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »
How could hiring occur if layoffs on the on horizon, according to Deadspin?

http://deadspin.com/next-round-of-espn-layoffs-are-coming-this-week-512569976?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Jason Wilde is a terrific reporter. They'd need to hire four guys to fill his shoes, he's so good.