1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The car question: Honda Accord? Nissan Altima? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, May 3, 2013.

1. accguy

accguy Member

I think I'm getting a new ride. Leaning heavily to a Honda Accord or a Nissan Altima. Both have new body styles for '13 and, because of that, I will likely buy new (or near new). Not running out this weekend, but probably will take advantage of upcoming end of the model year deals.

I want reliable and comfortable. I car about MPG, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm not a car guy, so bells and whistles and torque and horsepower doesn't do a helluva lot for me. Would consider getting the V6 model, but want to drive both to see the difference.

What's the preference of the crowd here?

And while I know the Toyota Camry is reliable, it might be just too boring. It makes the Accord and Altima look way exciting.

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I learned to drive on an accord back in 1989. My mom still has it, it runs fine and has over 300K miles on it.

It's never needed anything beyond regular maintenance.

Those cars are amazingly durable.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Whichever dealership that has 0% financing.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Two years ago I went to try to buy a Toyota. The salesman wouldn't match my bottom line, so I walked out and drove down the street to the Honda dealer. On our way out of the parking lot, I told my wife, "I'll bet you lunch the dealer calls within two hours and offers the deal we wanted." I was wrong; it was actually three hours later, but by then we were 99 percent through the transaction on an Accord. I love it. I'm getting 27 mpg and I don't do a lot of highway driving.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

If you're out for reliability, it's tough to beat Honda. What's you're price range? Worth at least considering a new Hyundai, quality has come way up on those in the last several years, plus I think they are a bit sportier than Honda. Also, I think you may be able to get a little bit better bang for your buck, not paying as much for the stylized H as you are for the Honda H.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i was a devote toyota celica man in the '80s, then upgraded to camry when the little guys starts coming along in the '90s... finally gave the accord a try in '01 and LOVED it -- i havent driven since '07, so i'm not up to date, but if i was back in a driver's seast today i'd be an accord man, fwiw.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have a Honda after years of various VWs, two Toyotas and a Mazda. When I need a new car I will absolutely consider a Honda first.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

As somebody who has lived in southeastern Michigan my whole life and have had relatives in the auto industry, how 'bout a 100 percent American car that will 100 percent support the American economy? I've had a good run of Fords over the past 25 or so years.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love Nissans. My first new car was a Sentra. My new car's a Juke. The new Altima is SHARP.

Altimas are getting their costs dropped, too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/05/01/nissan-cuts-prices-juke/2127721/

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In summary, between the Honda Accord and Nissan Altima, you cannot lose.

Both are reliable as all get out, have the four- and six-cylinder engine options, can be optioned up or somewhat stripped down. Based on what you said, get the four-banger version of whichever one you choose, take the mileage savings - and perhaps lower insurance premiums, too - and call it a good purchase.

Hondas typically have better ergonomics, and Nissans tend to be more performance-oriented. Toyotas might still be the most durable things on the road and easiest for mechanics to fix ... not a bad title to have given that Honda is no slouch in this department.

I would urge you to give the Toyota Camry a shot, though ... I understand you think it's boring, but truthfully, all three aren't much different from one another. And while none are hair-standing-on-the-back-of-your-neck exciting, all are durable, dependable, worthwhile ideas.

One would think end of model year incentives would kick in ... but I was kicking the tires on a 2012 (!) model out of area the last few days, and the idiots I was talking to via e-mail are holding lines and being obstinate (which is probably they have a year-old model sitting on the lot among other problems ... and I'm looking at something a little more niche than what you're seeking). Message is simply to beware that too many dealerships want to play the same games with potential customers no matter the day of the week or time of the month or year.

All the best, accguy. Keep us posted.

11. CNY

CNY Member

One thing I like about Honda is that once you choose a trim level and transmission, you're pretty much done. Toyota and Nissan have a gajillion other options they try to push on you.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Amen. Why do so many folks here hate America?

Also, this thread will not be complete before smallpotatoes weighs in.

Draft saved Draft deleted