1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet but keep in mind, this was the first 3 minutes of Seinfeld:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDiM-3ot9Q0

How does Mullaney compare?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Seinfeld got much better quickly.

Mullaney hasn't at all.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I really, really want to love Mulaney, but it's awful.

Considering NBC didn't pick up the pilot last year, maybe that was a sign that it wasn't very good. But you always hear the stories about how ABC passed on Cosby Show and NBC passed on Roseanne.

Obviously, Mulaney doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of those shows.

I want it to be good, it's just not.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

AMC cancels "The Bridge."

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/fx-cancels-the-bridge

I quit watching about 3 episodes into Season 2, so I guess I feel validated.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Exactly. I want it to be good. I love Nasim Pedrad. But the show is just horrible. Martin Short's character might be the worst sitcom character in the history of television.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I interviewed Mulaney a few months ago and he wouldn't say much about what happened with NBC, but I got the feeling it was a much different show. Probably a better one. I think he got talked into/forced to make something "sitcomy" instead of doing something smart, which I think is what most of the people familiar with him would have expected and wanted.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but that's an FX show.

I watched the first season and wasn't that enthralled with Season 2. I think I stopped watching after four episodes.

8. Steak Snabler

Crap, you're right.

9. Steak Snabler

Elizabeth Norment, who played Frank Underwood's secretary on "House of Cards," has died at 61, apparently from cancer:

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/house-cards-actress-elizabeth-norment-dies-61-n235986

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Anyone watch Benched on USA? I read a pretty positive review yesterday and decided to check it out. I didn't hate it. Probably because USA gives them the leeway to curse and make dumb, dirty jokes. I'll stick around for another ep or two at least.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Same here. I didn't hate it. And even though I was not a Happy Endings fan, for some reason, Eliza Coupe can hold up a show like this. Pretty basic stuff ... lead character's a personal mess in a new situation. Gravelly, heart-of-gold boss (Jack McGee playing the role for the 79th time in his career), tart co-worker (Maria Bamford) and the future will-they-won't-they love interest (Jay Harrington playing the role for the 47th time in his career).

And Oscar!

I'll watch it again.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Second episode of 'Seinfeld' was 'The Stakeout' and the third was 'The Robbery.'
    Not up to later standards, but much better than almost anything been done at the time they aired.

Draft saved Draft deleted