1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

melt down all the other emmys to give him one giant emmy

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Another epic blowup at Paige as well.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That pastor deserved to be punched in the mouth.
    A 15-year-old girl gives you, and you don't question it? You don't call her parents to make sure they are aware of it?

FYI, $600 in 1982 is equal to about $1,500 today.
    No way would anyone assume her parents, whom you have never met at the time of the donation, are OK with it.
    Unless you are a shyster.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Americans and Homeland will have a crossover movie coming out this summer, Carrie Mathison travel backs in time, fucks Philip and Elizabeth, on separate occasions, then kills Oleg, so Brodie can be a KGB triple agent for the Mossad

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And Chris Brody takes Paige out on a date to a Wizards game and ice cream afterward ...

Anyway, one curiosity on this show: Do Russians always refer to each other with full names? Seems like they always speak to each other in the Residentura using both the first and last name. I just find that odd, that's all.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that's traditional Russian etiquette.

It's not their full name, it's their first name and the patronymic (a sort of middle name based on the father's name).

In a formal or business setting, using just the first name would be considered too personal. The first name and patronymic would be standard.

Arkady, for example, is credited as Arkady Ivanovich, but that to me sounds like a patronymic (it literally means "son of Ivan.") I don't think we know his actual last name. But I could be mistaken on that.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting. Thanks. That's a nice detail for them to nail down in the show.

8. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

I don't know any 14-year-olds who could save up that much cash. I think the most I ever had at 14 was $100, and that was in 1997. Maybe Paige should have given some of that cash to Henry so he'd shut up about the Intellivision and not resort to breaking into the neighbors' house to play it.

On another note, the Emmy voters better have Matthew Rhys on their radar. If he doesn't even get nominated, that will be a travesty.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If I had $600 when I was 15 (1985) I was buying beer and drugs.
    In neither case is the retailor checking with my parents.

A legit church or charity, however, would call the parents of a 15 year old who tried to donate $600.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

it was her Bat Mitzvah money

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

No, this is correct. I've seen it addressed in a few articles about the show, including Slate, which is run by Jacob Weisberg, who is the brother of showrunner/creator Joe Weisberg.

One thing I really appreciate about the show is that the Russians always speak Russian when they're together. I wish more shows would do this and just use subtitles. Instead, most shows and movies just pretend people speak English all the time.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

On Game of Thrones last night, they had an extended scene of people speaking whatever made-up foreign language they speak in their city, then had "Kill the Masters" scrawled in English on a wall in the next.

Draft saved Draft deleted