Author Topic: Wes Welker's wife. ...  (Read 9134 times)

Offline The Big Ragu

• Anything goes
  • Global Moderator
  • A blind man ain't got no business at a circus.
Re: Wes Welker's wife. ...
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
Just curious. I believe this came up on here a long time ago. When did the NFL -- or anyone for that matter -- paint a narrative of Roger Goodell as a "hardscrabble" guy -- other than you just now?

Offline Double Down

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
Some of the best players are not wonderful people. (Again, I don't think the connection between the two is random.)

Some of these players are popular regardless of their amoral behavior, in part because fans simply don't give a shit.

It's in the league's best interests to try a sell the supposed good in these athletes (or reform) since they're going to be popular anyway.

The league pushed Peyton Manning harder than any player in NFL history. So it's hardly athletes with questionable back stories alone.
Trying to be the lantern in the swamp.

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
If God has a sense of humor he will convince The Ravens to draft Mante Teo and slot him in at Lewis vacated position.

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
Just curious. I believe this came up on here a long time ago. When did the NFL -- or anyone for that matter -- paint a narrative of Roger Goodell as a "hardscrabble" guy -- other than you just now?

Pretty sure that was a blue fonter but Peter King did try to make Goodell more of a reguliar Joe than he really is.

Online Dick Whitman

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
It's in the league's best interests to try a sell the supposed good in these athletes (or reform) since they're going to be popular anyway.

Yeah, I respect LTL a ton as a poster, but it should be pretty obvious why the NFL force feeds us these stories. I recall the other day, similarly, someone was pissed that NBC had advanced the Manti Te'o myth. The poster should have been mad at everyone but NBC.

Offline LongTimeListener

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2013, 01:07:09 PM »

Pretty sure that was a blue fonter but Peter King did try to make Goodell more of a reguliar Joe than he really is.

That was not a blue fonter at all. The NFL was very, very active in painting that picture when Goodell became commish. Talked about how he started as a Jets intern, worked his way up, nothing handed to him, etc. Peter King's profile of Goodell was the height of that myth-making, but there were countless other interviews at the time that attempted to leave that impression and in many cases succeeded.

Offline LongTimeListener

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »

Yeah, I respect LTL a ton as a poster, but it should be pretty obvious why the NFL force feeds us these stories. I recall the other day, similarly, someone was pissed that NBC had advanced the Manti Te'o myth. The poster should have been mad at everyone but NBC.

True. I didn't say I didn't expect it. I've learned to live with it.

But it is still annoying.

Offline heyabbott

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »
Look, there's a simple solution to Ray Lewis and his rehabilitation campaign, just ignore him if you are so inclined; don't watch him on the studio show, don't follow his religious pitches.

There is so much intelligent commentary out there about religion and morality - philosophy, theology, science - both from a believer and non-believer's standpoint, that it just absolutely floors me that there are people who take a peabrain like Ray Lewis's words on the matter as gospel.

And, yet, there are.
But its the incessant story line, in the days and weeks before the game, to the pregame shows to the in game analysis and then the post game shows and the stories in the days that follow: Ray Lewis, leader of men. Ray Lewis, intense motivator. Ray Lewis, retiring in style. Ray Lewis, brilliant farewell tour to a brilliant player and person.

Reporter: "Ray, may I call you Ray? How do you stay so modest? "
Rev. Lewis: "I'm just so humble. There's never been a more humble person. I'm truly humble and blessed by the Lord. That's personally blessed by the Lord. He came by the locker room before the game to bless me"
“If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention”

"Don't use my name in your article, I want to protect my animosity."

Offline TheSportsPredictor

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »
Did Mrs. Welker mention Tom Brady's children by two different women?

Offline The Big Ragu

• Anything goes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »

That was not a blue fonter at all. The NFL was very, very active in painting that picture when Goodell became commish. Talked about how he started as a Jets intern, worked his way up, nothing handed to him, etc. Peter King's profile of Goodell was the height of that myth-making, but there were countless other interviews at the time that attempted to leave that impression and in many cases succeeded.

What makes you think it's a myth? It's my understanding that Roger Goodell wrote to every NFL team asking for an internship and got rejected by them all. ... and then got a blow off from Don Weiss at the league office saying something to effect of, if you're ever in the area stop by. And Goodell showed up to see him the next day after driving down from Buffalo. ... and got a mail room internship.

I kind of remember that thread now from when Peter King profiled him. If the basic gist of what I typed above is a myth. ... well, how do you know it isn't true, and what is the real story that you know?

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
So if Ray Lewis was innocent why would he agree to a 7 figure settlement with the daughter of one of the victims?

You know the answer to this, you're just trying to be cute. Every settlement in a civil trial is done after doing a cost/benefit analysis. I think the chances are Ray Lewis would have won a civil trail, but you never know what's going to happen and what kind of jury you're going to get. A lawyer probably said to him "This can drag out over the next year and you might end up paying nothing, or it can drag out over the next year and you could end up with a jury deciding you're so rich, you should be the sole person held responsible here to the tune of $7 million. Or, we can make it go away right now for $2 million. Would you like to get on with your career and just pay the $2 million now?"

I think his attorney likely said that in a civil case the standard of proof is lower and look what happened in the OJ civil case.

Captain Obvious

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »

Don't recall Brady invoking religion in his public persona.

Offline LongTimeListener

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »
What makes you think it's a myth? It's my understanding that Roger Goodell wrote to every NFL team asking for an internship and got rejected by them all. ... and then got a blow off from Don Weiss at the league office saying something to effect of, if you're ever in the area stop by. And Goodell showed up to see him the next day after driving down from Buffalo. ... and got a mail room internship.

I kind of remember that thread now from when Peter King profiled him. If the basic gist of what I typed above is a myth. ... well, how do you know it isn't true, and what is the real story that you know?

We're threadjacking now, but it is highly unlikely that Goodell's father -- a former U.S. senator who at the time was a Washington lawyer in the same circles as Paul Tagliabue and much of the NFL power structure -- played no role in him getting that internship.

Of course, if you're Peter King and you want to believe that those things happen solely on merit -- such as, say, Mary Beth King getting an internship with the Seahawks over hundreds or maybe thousands of other applicants -- you're going to believe it was solely by dint of Roger's perseverance that he made his way through the league offices.

It all just seemed so unnecessary to me to sell that, as if they wanted to give off the impression that ownership and management were something other than a Rich White Guy Club.

Offline heyabbott

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2013, 01:32:57 PM »

Poor immoral Tom Brady. He makes such lousy life choices.
“If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention”

"Don't use my name in your article, I want to protect my animosity."

Offline Double Down

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
I don't recall Ray Lewis promoting his church, which is generally the entity hell bent on pushing marriage and one man, one wife. He does blabber on a lot about God a lot, and spirituality and doing good works. I think it would be a lot more offensive if Lewis spent his time trying to judge sinners the way a lot of organized religion does.

The whole 6 kids/4 women thing is sort of a silly thing to get upset about as long as he's supporting them right? Someone like Boom should be praising Ray Lewis for supporting those kids and not wanting their baby mamas to have abortions or hop on welfare, right?

Contradictions abound, I guess.

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »

Poor immoral Tom Brady. He makes such lousy life choices.

8 /10

Offline LongTimeListener

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »
The whole 6 kids/4 women thing is sort of a silly thing to get upset about as long as he's supporting them right?

I argue with this. Supporting a kid means a lot more than financial. Those kids are all getting a lot less of a father figure than they should be getting.

Also I believe he is only supporting them at the point of a government bayonet and that he has gone to court several times to try not to pay.

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »
I don't recall Ray Lewis promoting his church, which is generally the entity hell bent on pushing marriage and one man, one wife. He does blabber on a lot about God a lot, and spirituality and doing good works. I think it would be a lot more offensive if Lewis spent his time trying to judge sinners the way a lot of organized religion does.

The whole 6 kids/4 women thing is sort of a silly thing to get upset about as long as he's supporting them right? Someone like Boom should be praising Ray Lewis for supporting those kids and not wanting their baby mamas to have abortions or hop on welfare, right?

Contradictions abound, I guess.

Why me?

Ray Lewis can do whatever the fuck he wants but there is no real good reason that the networks need to provide such a broad forum for Ray to peddle his wares.

Offline Double Down

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »

I argue with this. Supporting a kid means a lot more than financial. Those kids are all getting a lot less of a father figure than they should be getting.

Also I believe he is only supporting them at the point of a government bayonet and that he has gone to court several times to try not to pay.

No doubt we agree that parenting is more than financial support. I still fall short of calling the simple act of having children with several different women an immoral choice. We're making presumptions, ones that may be correct, but ones I don't think we can possibly say are true, that he's a bad father because he has a lot of kids and they're spread out and he cannot possibly be a father to all of them.

It's the absence of consistent parenting that makes him a douche, not the actual having of the children.

There is also a very good chance that Ray Lewis could still, even in his absence, be a better father than, say, Jim Harbaugh, who has three children from his first marriage and three in his second.

Who knows?

I think where I object to all this "THE MEDIA SUCKS RAY LEWIS' DICK!" narrative is that what most of you are really talking about is the abhorrent "journalism" that's a part of the networks pre-game, in game, and post-game broadcasts, which isn't journalism in any sense. No one considers it journalism either. It's nauseating propaganda. Some of it is better than others, but it's hardly representative of the entire media.

Offline The Big Ragu

• Anything goes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »

We're threadjacking now, but it is highly unlikely that Goodell's father -- a former U.S. senator who at the time was a Washington lawyer in the same circles as Paul Tagliabue and much of the NFL power structure -- played no role in him getting that internship.

Of course, if you're Peter King and you want to believe that those things happen solely on merit -- such as, say, Mary Beth King getting an internship with the Seahawks over hundreds or maybe thousands of other applicants -- you're going to believe it was solely by dint of Roger's perseverance that he made his way through the league offices.

It all just seemed so unnecessary to me to sell that, as if they wanted to give off the impression that ownership and management were something other than a Rich White Guy Club.

Now, I remember this. You created your own narrative that HAS TO BE TRUE -- even though there is no evidence of it and a lot of evidence suggesting that he talked his way into an internship on his own. The rejection letters from NFL teams -- why didn't his dad pull those strings?

But your narrative says that because Goodell is the son of a U.S. Senator in the 1960s, he can't possibly be a plodder who got an internship at the league office by being persistent. For what it's worth, when Goodell got his NFL internship, Pete Rozelle was the commissioner, not Tagliabue, and Charles Goodell was long retired from politics. Also, supposedly Goodell went to Washington and Jefferson College supposedly because he was rejected by his first choice, Davidson. So essentially, his dad couldn't, or chose not to, get him into the college he wanted, but he had to have pulled strings that got him an internship (something you persistently suggest even though there is no reason to believe it), that of course led to him becoming commissioner. For you, his life was preordained by a "Rich White Guy Club." So he's automatically a myth and nothing about him can POSSIBLY be anything other than "Rich White Guy Club."

I posted this last time you did this. ... This was a commencement speech Goodell gave at U-Mass Lowell a few years ago. ... According to you, he's a liar. ... no proof or anything. It just HAS TO BE so.

"Let me share with you those three questions, the group thought it would be most valuable for me to address today. First, how did you get started and develop your career? It is important to remember that I was sitting in your chair not too long ago, nervous and uncertain about my future. And it is very common at ceremonies such as this, to say dream and dream big. I say do more than that. When you dream, you are in an unconscious state. It ends. You wake up. It is not real. You need to create a vision. This takes determination, and a plan, that takes your dream to a destination. My dream was football. In fact, I slept with a football at age 6, a practice my wife just broke me of in the last few years. My passion and vision was to work in the NFL. So I created that plan. I wrote more than 40 letters to the NFL. Everybody. The results, as you heard earlier, a big pile of rejections. Some plan, huh? But I was determined and persistent and kept writing. And finally, there was a polite, but somewhat dismissive reply from a weary executive at the NFL to quote, stop by if you are in the area. So I told him, I am in the area. I got in my car, I drove all night from Pittsburgh to New York, and I was on his doorstep the next morning. Six months later, and probably 12 or 13 letters later, they offered me a three month internship. That executive looked at me 10 or 15 years later, and I asked him, why did you hire me? He said, I thought you were a nice guy. So it doesn’t matter how you get in the door. Just get in that door."

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »

No doubt we agree that parenting is more than financial support. I still fall short of calling the simple act of having children with several different women an immoral choice. We're making presumptions, ones that may be correct, but ones I don't think we can possibly say are true, that he's a bad father because he has a lot of kids and they're spread out and he cannot possibly be a father to all of them.

It's the absence of consistent parenting that makes him a douche, not the actual having of the children.

There is also a very good chance that Ray Lewis could still, even in his absence, be a better father than, say, Jim Harbaugh, who has three children from his first marriage and three in his second.

Who knows?

I think where I object to all this "THE MEDIA SUCKS RAY LEWIS' DICK!" narrative is that what most of you are really talking about is the abhorrent "journalism" that's a part of the networks pre-game, in game, and post-game broadcasts, which isn't journalism in any sense. No one considers it journalism either. It's nauseating propaganda. Some of it is better than others, but it's hardly representative of the entire media.

My problem is that the networks / NFL suck Ray Lewis's dick. It's just not necessary

DD , I think that you mentioned that you played football. You seem ole school. I find it hard to believe that you enjoy Ray Lewis's sideline look at me antics and phony pre game motivational BS
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:44:39 PM by Boom_70 »

Offline LongTimeListener

« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
I posted this last time you did this. ... This was a commencement speech Goodell gave at U-Mass Lowell a few years ago. ... According to you, he's a liar. ... no proof or anything. It just HAS TO BE so.

"Let me share with you those three questions, the group thought it would be most valuable for me to address today. First, how did you get started and develop your career? It is important to remember that I was sitting in your chair not too long ago, nervous and uncertain about my future. And it is very common at ceremonies such as this, to say dream and dream big. I say do more than that. When you dream, you are in an unconscious state. It ends. You wake up. It is not real. You need to create a vision. This takes determination, and a plan, that takes your dream to a destination. My dream was football. In fact, I slept with a football at age 6, a practice my wife just broke me of in the last few years. My passion and vision was to work in the NFL. So I created that plan. I wrote more than 40 letters to the NFL. Everybody. The results, as you heard earlier, a big pile of rejections. Some plan, huh? But I was determined and persistent and kept writing. And finally, there was a polite, but somewhat dismissive reply from a weary executive at the NFL to quote, stop by if you are in the area. So I told him, I am in the area. I got in my car, I drove all night from Pittsburgh to New York, and I was on his doorstep the next morning. Six months later, and probably 12 or 13 letters later, they offered me a three month internship. That executive looked at me 10 or 15 years later, and I asked him, why did you hire me? He said, I thought you were a nice guy. So it doesn’t matter how you get in the door. Just get in that door."

This is what privileged people often do. They tell themselves they started at the same place as everybody else and that nobody ever gave them nuttin'. You've heard "born on third base and thinks he hit a triple."

If you read back on the things that were written about Roger Goodell in 2006, you would get the impression that his parents were a butcher and a housemaid in the South Bronx.

Anyway, I'm sure there's another long post coming, but we're pretty far off track here.

Offline Versatile

• The ghost slips away.
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
I liked this thread more when The Big Ragu was finishing each post with a new Anna Burns Welker photo.
"Katy Perry has no artistic or entertainment value if she is not wearing a wet T-shirt and doing jumping jacks." — Starman

Offline Boom_70

« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »

This is what privileged people often do. They tell themselves they started at the same place as everybody else and that nobody ever gave them nuttin'. You've heard "born on third base and thinks he hit a triple."

If you read back on the things that were written about Roger Goodell in 2006, you would get the impression that his parents were a butcher and a housemaid in the South Bronx.

Anyway, I'm sure there's another long post coming, but we're pretty far off track here.

Did you hear that Joe Biden grew up in Scranton and that Rick Santorum's grandfather was a coal minor.

Offline YankeeFan

« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
I liked this thread more when The Big Ragu was finishing each post with a new Anna Burns Welker photo.

Wes Welker's wife is much hotter than Jack Clark's wife.
I've now been told Cracky McCrackhead has dedicated his sig to me. I'm touched.