1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com 2013 summer internships -- deadline is Nov. 24

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Bloom714

Bloom714 New Member

This would be great. I wish I didn't graduate so I could apply.

2. Sluf

Sluf New Member

Congrats to all finalists!

3. dingo10886

dingo10886 New Member

When are the finalists contacted for this? Or have they already been contacted?

4. aholla3

aholla3 New Member

Finalists were emailed last night.

I am, happily, a finalist for this. I had to email them my top 3 choices of cities to cover. Has anyone done this internship before? What cities/ teams does everyone think would be good/ not good to live in and cover for the summer?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think you should choose Cleveland. Cost of living is not high. The Indians themselves are one of the better organizations using social media. It's not a hostile working environment. You could do a lot more networking than you might think, as we do have an MLB, NFL, and NBA team here, a well as a minor-league hockey team, Arena Football team, and quality mid-major college basketball team, all playing within a couple miles of each other. Away from work, there is plenty to do here, especially in the warm-weather months. In Cleveland, I think you could learn without pressure from a lot of experienced people who would be happy to help. You could also get to Pittsburgh, Cincy, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Milwaukee and DC/Baltimore in a drive of seven hours or less, so if you ever had any opportunities there you could make an overnight trip out of it with little problem.

Come to Cleveland!

6. mcleme9

mcleme9 New Member

I did this internship last summer. It is a phenomenal opportunity. I can only speak on where I was (Cincinnati), but I absolutely loved it. I worked with some great reporters and learned so much. You get to cover a number of visiting teams and get to meet a ton of writers from other cities. Choose a city that'll be a little less popular, most likely, or one that you have free or cheap living. My aunt lives in a Cinci suburb so I didn't pay any rent and got to save some good money throughout the summer. Plus got some playoff action, which was even better

7. NipNap

NipNap New Member

Not a finalist for the second straight year. Only takes one, I guess. Must be some good applicants for this.

8. haddixjl

haddixjl New Member

I have been told that a second round of notifications are going on at the beginning of next week. Hoping to be in that round.

9. dingo10886

dingo10886 New Member

Yes, Bill has implied that he is still working through some applications and some will be notified next week. Not sure what that means in terms of how many spots are left or if he has already selected the applicants that stand out.

Of course, he could just be going through another stack that he hasn't seen yet. Not sure.

10. JSDorn6

JSDorn6 New Member

Does anybody have a rough estimate of how many applicants there are for this?

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

If you've already submitted, it doesn't matter if there are a hundred, a thousand or more, so don't let it bother you. You're either good enough or you aren't, and numbers are beyond your control. Please take that with you into adult life; there's nothing more wasteful that worrying about who else applied for an opening. Do your best, put your best application out there, and don't be shy about putting out a large number of applications, especially when you're young.

12. Sluf

Sluf New Member

Good luck to all finalists taking the writing test this week!

Draft saved Draft deleted