1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com 2013 summer internships -- deadline is Nov. 24

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Bill Hill

Bill Hill New Member

Want an exciting summer covering Major League Baseball? MLB.com offers 30 reporting internships to aspiring sportswriters. These internships are designed to give associates the full range of experiences that come with covering a professional team. Each associate will work closely with a site reporter to give visitors to a team’s Web site all the information they need to follow the team from Opening Day to season’s end. Each Major League team will have one associate.

Students who are currently juniors or seniors, as well as graduate students, are eligible for our 2013 Summer Internship Program. If you are graduating in December 2012, you are still eligible. All applications must be postmarked by Nov. 24, 2012. We will make our selections by the end of January.

We expect each intern to spend a minimum of 10 weeks in the program, dates determined by a person’s college schedule. Interns who have graduated generally are allowed to work until the end of the season.

The more flexible an applicant is in terms of which Major League city he or she can work in, the better the person’s chances of being selected. Interns will be paid $500 per week.

Applicants should submit a resume, 5 to 10 published articles, a list of references and a 750-word essay on why MLB.com should select you? Your clips ideally will show a variety of work, including game stories, previews and features. Previous experience covering a beat is preferred.

Associates are responsible for arranging their own housing and transportation.

Please mail all internship applications to:

Bill Hill
    Assistant Managing Editor/MLB.com
    Major League Baseball/Western Operations
    2415 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. 850
    Phoenix, AZ 85016

If you have any questions, please contact Bill Hill at bill.hill@MLB.com and put the words “Internship Info” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Young people, do this.

3. Jwriter27

Jwriter27 New Member

I have been interested in this internship for quite some time now and finally have the opportunity to apply as a senior (after years of saving to finish school). My question is regarding the 5-10 articles. Would it be beneficial to include a wide variety of sports or just stick primarily with baseball? I'm a preps writer for my city's paper, so I have a rather large pool of clips to choose from.
    Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

show some baseball for sure - but show some range, too. Can you construct a decent game story? Profile?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

For this internship, focus on the game stories in your clip packet.

6. dingo10886

dingo10886 New Member

This sounds very interesting as a will be sports journalism graduate in April.

Has anybody on here done this before and can share on the selection process?

I have a decent amount of experience, but I am not sure I have enough. Can anybody who knows more about these positions shed any light on the amount of experience they would be looking for as an intern?

7. I did this internship three years ago and didn't have much beat writing experience. I would suggest having a decent set of clips in terms of features, gamers, and news. Not sure what experience they'd be looking for, but if they hire juniors and seniors, I wouldn't imagine their having much experience.

8. greg.zeck

greg.zeck New Member

I actually did the program this past summer and had a blast. Learned a lot and got some great experience that helped me land a job in a nearby town that will allow me to still cover the organization I was around. Would love to answer any questions anybody has

9. NatsFan

NatsFan New Member

I'm assuming the answer is no, but I figure it's worth asking.. I'm only a sophomore but have covered three beats including baseball and am an editor at my college paper. Am I still eligible or is it a requirement that all applicants be at least juniors?

10. greg.zeck

greg.zeck New Member

I'm pretty certain they take only juniors and seniors

11. suhlmann12

suhlmann12 New Member

Has anyone ever gotten this internship without being on a baseball beat? I have experience covering D-I football and basketball at my school, just not baseball.

12. greg.zeck

greg.zeck New Member

Yeah, I got it covering basketball

Draft saved Draft deleted