Author Topic: MLB.com 2013 summer internships -- deadline is Nov. 24  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Bill Hill

MLB.com 2013 summer internships -- deadline is Nov. 24
« on: November 01, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »
Want an exciting summer covering Major League Baseball? MLB.com offers 30 reporting internships to aspiring sportswriters. These internships are designed to give associates the full range of experiences that come with covering a professional team. Each associate will work closely with a site reporter to give visitors to a team’s Web site all the information they need to follow the team from Opening Day to season’s end. Each Major League team will have one associate.

Students who are currently juniors or seniors, as well as graduate students, are eligible for our 2013 Summer Internship Program.  If you are graduating in December 2012, you are still eligible. All applications must be postmarked by Nov. 24, 2012.  We will make our selections by the end of January.

We expect each intern to spend a minimum of 10 weeks in the program, dates determined by a person’s college schedule. Interns who have graduated generally are allowed to work until the end of the season.

The more flexible an applicant is in terms of which Major League city he or she can work in, the better the person’s chances of being selected.  Interns will be paid $500 per week.

Applicants should submit a resume, 5 to 10 published articles, a list of references and a 750-word essay on why MLB.com should select you? Your clips ideally will show a variety of work, including game stories, previews and features. Previous experience covering a beat is preferred.

Associates are responsible for arranging their own housing and transportation.

Please mail all internship applications to:

Bill Hill
Assistant Managing Editor/MLB.com
Major League Baseball/Western Operations
2415 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. 850
Phoenix, AZ 85016

If you have any questions, please contact Bill Hill at [email protected] and put the words “Internship Info” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.

Offline dirtybird

Re: MLB.com 2013 summer internships -- deadline is Nov. 24
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »
Young people, do this.

Offline Jwriter27

• Newbie*
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
I have been interested in this internship for quite some time now and finally have the opportunity to apply as a senior (after years of saving to finish school). My question is regarding the 5-10 articles. Would it be beneficial to include a wide variety of sports or just stick primarily with baseball? I'm a preps writer for my city's paper, so I have a rather large pool of clips to choose from.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Online Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »
show some baseball for sure - but show some range, too.  Can you construct a decent game story?  Profile?
Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade.” - Vernon Law

www.si.com

Offline Versatile

• The ghost slips away.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »
For this internship, focus on the game stories in your clip packet.
"Katy Perry has no artistic or entertainment value if she is not wearing a wet T-shirt and doing jumping jacks." — Starman

Offline dingo10886

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »
This sounds very interesting as a will be sports journalism graduate in April.

Has anybody on here done this before and can share on the selection process?

I have a decent amount of experience, but I am not sure I have enough. Can anybody who knows more about these positions shed any light on the amount of experience they would be looking for as an intern?

Offline danielpaulling

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:04:39 PM »
I have a decent amount of experience, but I am not sure I have enough. Can anybody who knows more about these positions shed any light on the amount of experience they would be looking for as an intern?

I did this internship three years ago and didn't have much beat writing experience. I would suggest having a decent set of clips in terms of features, gamers, and news. Not sure what experience they'd be looking for, but if they hire juniors and seniors, I wouldn't imagine their having much experience.

Offline greg.zeck

• Putting in the hard work every day
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
I actually did the program this past summer and had a blast. Learned a lot and got some great experience that helped me land a job in a nearby town that will allow me to still cover the organization I was around. Would love to answer any questions anybody has
@thegregzeck

Offline NatsFan

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
I'm assuming the answer is no, but I figure it's worth asking.. I'm only a sophomore but have covered three beats including baseball and am an editor at my college paper. Am I still eligible or is it a requirement that all applicants be at least juniors?

Offline greg.zeck

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 12:19:57 PM »
I'm pretty certain they take only juniors and seniors
@thegregzeck

Offline suhlmann12

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »
Has anyone ever gotten this internship without being on a baseball beat? I have experience covering D-I football and basketball at my school, just not baseball.

Offline greg.zeck

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Yeah, I got it covering basketball
@thegregzeck

Offline Bloom714

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
This would be great. I wish I didn't graduate so I could apply.

Offline Sluf

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »
Congrats to all finalists!

Offline dingo10886

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:50:58 AM »
When are the finalists contacted for this? Or have they already been contacted?

Offline aholla3

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »
Finalists were emailed last night.

I am, happily, a finalist for this. I had to email them my top 3 choices of cities to cover. Has anyone done this internship before? What cities/ teams does everyone think would be good/ not good to live in and cover for the summer?

Offline TheSportsPredictor

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »
I think you should choose Cleveland. Cost of living is not high. The Indians themselves are one of the better organizations using social media. It's not a hostile working environment. You could do a lot more networking than you might think, as we do have an MLB, NFL, and NBA team here, a well as a minor-league hockey team, Arena Football team, and quality mid-major college basketball team, all playing within a couple miles of each other. Away from work, there is plenty to do here, especially in the warm-weather months. In Cleveland, I think you could learn without pressure from a lot of experienced people who would be happy to help. You could also get to Pittsburgh, Cincy, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Milwaukee and DC/Baltimore in a drive of seven hours or less, so if you ever had any opportunities there you could make an overnight trip out of it with little problem.

Come to Cleveland!

Offline mcleme9

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »
I did this internship last summer. It is a phenomenal opportunity. I can only speak on where I was (Cincinnati), but I absolutely loved it. I worked with some great reporters and learned so much. You get to cover a number of visiting teams and get to meet a ton of writers from other cities. Choose a city that'll be a little less popular, most likely, or one that you have free or cheap living. My aunt lives in a Cinci suburb so I didn't pay any rent and got to save some good money throughout the summer. Plus got some playoff action, which was even better

Offline NipNap

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
Not a finalist for the second straight year. Only takes one, I guess. Must be some good applicants for this.

Offline haddixjl

• SJ Subscriber
  • Newbie*
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »
I have been told that a second round of notifications are going on at the beginning of next week. Hoping to be in that round.

Offline dingo10886

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 06:18:29 AM »
Yes, Bill has implied that he is still working through some applications and some will be notified next week. Not sure what that means in terms of how many spots are left or if he has already selected the applicants that stand out.

Of course, he could just be going through another stack that he hasn't seen yet. Not sure.

Offline JSDorn6

• Newbie*
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »
Does anybody have a rough estimate of how many applicants there are for this?

Offline SoCalScribe

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 01:50:10 AM »
If you've already submitted, it doesn't matter if there are a hundred, a thousand or more, so don't let it bother you. You're either good enough or you aren't, and numbers are beyond your control. Please take that with you into adult life; there's nothing more wasteful that worrying about who else applied for an opening. Do your best, put your best application out there, and don't be shy about putting out a large number of applications, especially when you're young.

Offline Sluf

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »
Good luck to all finalists taking the writing test this week!