1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the Single Worst Call You've Ever Seen?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's a rather obscure inconsequential choice, but I nonetheless might mention Toledo getting screwed out of an upset over Syracuse by refs somehow concluding this went through the uprights:

2. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Jim Joyce ruined perfect game

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Jeffrey fucking Maier

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Denkinger, fifth down, et al. were terrible calls. Truly terrible one-shot calls.

Only the 1972 gold medal basketball game is an example of the refs doggedly making the wrong call over and over until they run out the clock.

5. The Baron is correct -- NOTHING will ever match the 1972 Olympic fiasco.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Doug Eddings creating a dropped 3rd strike on the Angels when AJP ran to first in 2005 ALCS.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm still sore about Hugh Dallas missing Torsten Frings' handball on the goal line against the US, but that's also a good shout.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

MLB: '85 Series. Perfecto gone wrong.
    NFL: Coin flip. If you can't get that right, who cares about the game?
    NHL: '80 Stanley Cup offside play or '99 Brett Hull in crease
    College football: 5th down.
    Olympics: '72 hoops.

If tonight was the worst you've seen, turn off your TV and take it out with the trash. You've been blessed to not see a lot of wrongs.

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Lots of good ones already mentioned, so I'll toss out another one -- Jerry Meals in the 19th inning last year in Braves-Pirates. Julio Lugo still hasn't touched the plate.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Kordell Stewart's phantom touchdown catch [/coltsfan]

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tonight was bad, but certainly not in the top 10 in NFL history -- muchless top 10 in sports history.

12. dieditor

dieditor Member

Jim Joyce's missed call at first was heartbreaking, not only for the pitcher but for Joyce as well. You could see how much he felt for Galarraga and knew what his call cost him.

But for me personally, it's Denkinger. Fuck you, Donnie. 27 years later, I still can't believe what a colossal fuckup that was in such a critical situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted