1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Julia Roberts & Nationwide Insurance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think, in her prime, Roberts was more popular with women than men. But she did have this going for her:

[​IMG]

They're called boobs, Ed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's also called a push-up padded bra.

While JR remains from all apperances mostly real, she's nowhere near as spectacular as she appeared in Erin B (or Pretty Woman).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. turski7

turski7 Member

If I had Nationwide and heard JR's screeching voice on the ads, I'd cancel my insurance.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right, because Flo from Progressive is so much better.

Then again, I really do believe when Dennis Haysbert tells me I'm in good hands. When Morgan Freeman dies, Haysbert should get all those roles.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't swear to it, but I think John Kracynskii (sp?) does a lot of voiceover work. Not in the same league, but I'm 99 percent sure it's him on esurance and a lot more. I hear him all the time. Unless there's a guy out there who sounds just like him.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

John Krasinski does Carnival Cruise lines. That one I'm sure of.

Edit: Apparently he does Apple and Esurance, as well. I'm guessing Apple is pretty good gig.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I mean, that's him, right? I'm not imagining that?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not critical that you actually recognize the voice. It's meant to be almost subliminal.

The fact that the voice is familiar, comforting, and trustworthy to you -- even if you can't identify whose it is -- is what's important.

And, the companies pay much less than they would have to for an actual endorsement (which might not be available at any price).

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I hate Julia Roberts for making the worst journalism movie of all time, the anti-All the President's Men ... I Love Trouble. God, oh, God, what an abomination.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Roberts has made some terrible career moves lately. She turned down The Blind Side and she wanted too much money to do The Proposal and Bullock used those two movies to get an Oscar and revive her career, although, so far she hasn't done too much to capitalize on it.

11. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Trying to identify the celebrity voice is about the only reason to watch a commercial. Which, I'm ashamed to admit just occurred to me now, might be one reason companies are willing to pay what it takes to get a celebrity do it, as a way to get people not to skip through commercials in this Tivo/DVR age.

What I have always wondered about is the industry research that must exist that tells companies that it's worth what it must cost to get a big name for an unidentified voiceover. Take Michael C. Hall, from Dexter and Six Feet Under, who's the voice of the Dodge Durango - Chrysler has to be paying him substantially more than it would cost to get an anonymous voice actor. Does it really move enough more Durangos to make it worth their while? How is that even susceptible of proof?

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted