1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Julia Roberts & Nationwide Insurance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"LET'S GO! LET'S GO! LET ME HEAR IT! LET'S GO!"

I'd have to think these voiceovers are about the easiest money a celebrity can get, and they definitely don't come cheap.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Matt Damon's doing something right now that makes me cringe. Heard it a lot during the Olympics.

My only satisfaction is that I can't remember what the product is. FACE!

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Clint...

James Bond...

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I didn't remember it being SE Asia. I thought it was Europe and it was ads for coffee. Not only did it fund his charity work, it allowed him the freedom to take on movie projects that might not otherwise get done. I can see Julia Roberts being interest in that sort of stuff, especially considering the career shelf life for women in Hollywood. She's had better staying power than most, but if this is what she has to do to maintain her freedom of choice over her movie projects, who can blame her? As already stated, it's easy money.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Because she's known for taking on difficult roles and risky movies?
    I've got no problem with her or Clooney or anybody else wanting to make money, but is it really necessary to drape it in some kind of nobility.

6. I never really saw the attraction for Julia Roberts. Seriously. There are dozens and dozens of women in Hollywood better looking with better personalities.

I also find it amusing when I recognized Paul Giamatti doing voice overs for some commercial. Even just talking he sounds out of breath.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think I read somewhere that Banderas gets $5 mil a year to voice the Nasonex bee. Hell, Gilbert Gottfried was pushing a million a year to be the Aflack (sp?) duck before he was fired.

She probably got close to eight figures to do a few hours of voice over work. You can't fault anyone for agreeing to that.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It amazes me that companies would pay money like that for unattributed voiceovers. Do people really recognize voices like that in ads, when they might not be expecting George Clooney or whoever? I have no idea whose voice in on a commercial. I want to say James Earl Jones might have done one, but I'm not sure and I couldn't begin to tell you what it was for. Now that someone mentioned it, it strikes me that Morgan Freeman is the voice on those Go World ads (those are for Visa, right?). But all those names mentioned earlier? Didn't have a clue.

9. Harpo Marx never did a voice over. He had integrity

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Ah, to have been born with Mason Adams' voice. That man never had to work a day in his life if he didn't want to.

My current favorite voiceover guy is Ken Hudson Campbell.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A clip of Harpo Marx talking about playing piano in a brothel.

http://harpomarx.net/harpotalking1.mp3

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What do her looks and personality have to do with her acting abilities?

She may not be Meryl Streep but she's done some fine work.

Draft saved Draft deleted