1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paging Lynn Hoppes ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And he hasn't written anything for ESPN or Tweeted anything since last week's ESPYs.

Vacation?

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I'll just write his response.
    He can cut and paste it next week.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Comp time.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Worth a quote.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Here's my take:

I'll just write his response.
    He can cut and paste it next week.

(Following the Lynn Hoppes Journalism 101 Playbook).

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

All is quiet on the ESPN front.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Quick, everybody clean up a bit because we're going to get some company.

http://deadspin.com/5926978/lynn-hoppes-copies-press-releases-too

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

The ESPN apology was the first I've seen. With this new allegation, I say get this guy out of Bristol on the first thing smoking.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Wouldn't this still fall under "journalistic laziness"? I'm not saying he shouldn't be canned (he should), but if they didn't fire him for ripping off Wikipedia, why would they do it for this? It seems like the same kind of transgression, just further proof of his "laziness".

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, he did apparently remove the unneeded hyphen from "most-significant", so give him credit for that.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Hellooooooooooo world!

12. carrie

carrie Active Member

Something to consider as this lovely debate goes forward -- Hoppes had no problem toeing the "journalism laziness" line when he was SE back in Orlando.

There was the incident with his staff writer who lifted 33 items directly from a book for an article in Orlando Magazine, only to turn around and run what she wrote for Orlando Magazine in a Spring Training Guide for the Sentinel three years later. Nothing happened to her. And that was just the incident that became public - if people were to dig a little deeper, you'd find at least three or four more instances of recurring "lifting" of content from outside sources like it was no big deal.

Like him or not, respect him or not, feel that he was hard working or not - one thing about Lynn Hoppes has always been clear: he makes very questionable ethical decisions, and will continue to because nothing has ever happened to him to make him think he won't get off scot-free again.

And as for the race card - well, when you start your cover letter for potential jobs with "My name is Mr. Lynn Hoppes and I'm an Asian-American journalist ...", it kind of makes it fair game in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.