1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today reporter, editor jobs - NFL, NBA, MLB, college, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bbb1978, May 29, 2012.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

where are Morgan and Byrne based?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Don't know about Morgan, but Byrne is at the mothership.

3. Fran Curci

You mean ESPN? :)

4. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Morgan's in LA, along with his "chief of staff."

Byrne's still listed as NY, but maybe she's moving to Tysons?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

She has moved to D.C.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They've made, I'm told, one extremely good hire - still learning some details so I won't post the name yet. But it is a good one. I'm sure many more are to come.

7. Fran Curci

editor or writer?

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

What beat, and are they still taking applications?

9. Moderator1

Writer - and I heard another great name for them just this morning (another writer).

Not sure on the applications.

10. Moderator1

DAMN - heard some more names on the way in today, not sure I'll have time to get a ton of confirmation but will post if I do. If the list I've heard is true, these folks are off to an incredible start.

11. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Which means for the rest of us hoi polloi ... better luck next time. And also, possible openings elsewhere.

12. picayuneforever

picayuneforever New Member

New on here, because I am scouring for a job to escape the ongoing meltdown that is turning The Times-Picayune into a laughable web site. I would love to get in on any of these jobs at USA Today. I can confirm one editor they are bringing on board, former T-P sports editor David Meeks, who was not only the best SE we ever had, but also stepped up amid the panic after Katrina to lead the news team that stayed in the city in horrible conditions and won two Pulitzer Prizes. He is at the L.A. Times in news, but he knows Morgan from his sports days and after he left New Orleans he worked for Byrne at the AP as one of their regional sports editors. He is very sharp, a great guy who knows how to get it done and is much beloved around here. Morgan and Byrne are not messing around. They are going to attract top people. And a word of warning on any sports jobs you see advertised by the Nola Media Group. These are the people who have been running the horrible web site, which has never been close in quality to the paper. They want writers to do things like watch TV and write stories about what New Orleans athletes say on other outlets. If you want to do real reporting, I'd look carefully before you leap. Most of us still here are trying to leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted