1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today reporter, editor jobs - NFL, NBA, MLB, college, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bbb1978, May 29, 2012.

1. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Who would actually want to live in McLean on $45k? What a waste.

I can't wait for the Silver Line to get out to Tysons. That is going to be awesome if WMATA doesn't F it up.

2. CNY

CNY Member

Folks on the print side at USAT make much more than 45K. Will the reorg bring the online producer/editors' pay up? I doubt it, but you never know.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah but until the Silver Line is opened it's a hellish commute in traffic about two-thirds of the day. And the closest Silver Line stop will be about a mile away from USA Today's building.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

How long before Silver Line is finished? I stayed out by Reston on a spring trip last year and it was a mess.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Phase I to Reston should be done next year. I've heard Phase II past Dulles is scheduled to be done by 2018.

6. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

If you click on the link for your old cover letter on the new application, it gives you an option to replace it with another. I'm assuming (and hoping) that means you can change it for each individual application. If that makes any sense.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

See I think that the jobs should be farmed out to people not just in Virginia. I would apply to the college football job in an instant if there was a chance they would let me stay where I am in the heart of Big 12 country and just use my home as a hub around the area and the country. I think it would be cheaper then getting someone to come to Virginia then send them out weekly to the ends of the landscape, but that's just me.

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Was sort of thinking the same thing, though if these are really blog "editor" positions, they're going to want you close to the mothership, and you probably won't be doing that much traveling, anyway.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This is not correct.

Stage One was conducted in the laboratory. Stage Two will be attempted in a lifeless underground. Stage Three will involve the process on a planetary scale.

10. Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping too, but I just didn't think it was clear. When I applied for the job I thought might be a good fit for me I included a line that basically said if they wanted to talk to me about the other jobs I would be happy to listen. I wonder if that is enough.

11. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

Any idea if all of these jobs presume relocation?

12. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Not all of them. And my guess is that they're going to keep the online producer/editors' pay down and save the dough for the big names.

That said, $45K isn't horrible for NoVa. (Even McLean itself has less expensive parts.) Unless you're the sole bread-winner in a family of four, in which case you'll be stretching yourself thin. If your spouse has a decent job, you're fine.

THAT said, if Morgan and Byrne aren't even based in Tysons, why would they demand it of anyone else?

Draft saved Draft deleted