1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today reporter, editor jobs - NFL, NBA, MLB, college, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bbb1978, May 29, 2012.

1. bbb1978

bbb1978 Member

USA Today, for those who don't already know, has a bootload of Reporter and Editor jobs covering the NFL, NBA, MLB, fantasy, golf, blogs, etc.
    You are all welcome. ~ ;)

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobseeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?IPath=QH&ch=&rs=&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_rawwords=USA+Today&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_freeloc=Virginia&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_jobtypes=JN047&qsbButton=Find+Jobs

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Does it seem strange that on one page there is a thread about how the USA Today is cutting out everything, laying off people, consolidating stuff - and on this jobs board it is advertising something like 50 open jobs?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dave Morgan indicated in a Q-and-A that after all was said and done, there would be a net increase in positions at USAT, so no, this does not seem strange at all.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

This Supreme Court reporter job they talk about on the second page - Is that basketball or tennis? :)

5. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Well done.

6. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

applied for the baseball one Tuesday, so we'll see what happens.

7. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Anyone have any idea what something like this would pay? They ask for salary expectation, and it occurred to me I don't really know where "blog editor" would slot. Along the lines of a print reporter, or more like an editor? What about after USA Today's reorganization? I'm uneasy about the salary question on job applications anyway, but this time it's especially confounding.

8. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

I put 45,000. I figured that's reasonable enough for a starting point without sounding high, but who knows if I'll even get a response. Most of my baseball experience is on a freelance basis, so that might not be good enough.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If that position is based in McLean, $45K won't get you very far. Just saying.

10. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

I'm sure it won't, just like I'm sure I won't get a response.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, crap. Stuff is just too damn expensive then.

12. I'm sort of embarrassed to have to ask this, but I followed the link and went through the process of applying for one of the openings that I thought was the best fit for me. There are a few others I'd be interested in as well, but when I go to apply for those it already has my resume and cover letter preloaded and ready to go.

The cover letter was written specifically for that one job. So if I write a new one and upload it, will it be attached to every application I have submitted? Anyone understand what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted