1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is with tremendous sadness I bring you some awful news - Craig Stanke has died.

Craig was a deputy managing editor at CBSSports.com. He was one of the best people I ever met. He was one of the best journalists I knew. He was perhaps our most respected member.

It was not much of a secret. Craig posted here as SF_Express.

Will post arrangements as soon as I have them.

A couple of other threads were started earlier. We removed those and we appreciate the understanding of those who started them. We'd been asked by CBS to hold off until some family members could be notified and we of course respected that.

The entire world, not just our world, is a much poorer place today. This is very, very sad news

2. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

This is awful news and all of us here at SportsJournalists.com send our condolences to his family and the folks he worked with over the years. He was a great contributor to the site and we will miss him greatly.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Aw, Moddy... terrible, terrible news indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Wow.

R.I.P.

And, thank you.

5. Moderator1

I've cried while reading posts, this may be the first time I cried while posting. It is said too easily when people die that they were great and all that. Craig was great, in just about every way. His posts were him, through and through. One of my great memories was a night in Ft. L when CBS brought in the original editors for their Rapid Reports project. We went to one of Craig's favorite hangouts. I could have listened to his stories all night.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

RIP ... although it doesn't seem like enough.

TarHeelMan likes this.
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wow. Awful.

RIP.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is crushing. Never met Craig, but knew of him and interacted with him here a lot. A true journalist who I found agreeing with on virtually everything about the business. Earlier this year, we were on the opposite side of a running debate that I posted something to the effect, "I'm disagreeing for the second time with SF that I need to take a break from here and rethink things."

A giant on this board who will be sorely missed.

RIP.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was thinking of Craig after I got the phone call today. I remembered this post he made on Ron's RIP thread.

Figured that just about summed up Craig. There was no one on this site after Ron died I respected more than Craig. I always assumed we'd meet up some day.

My best thoughts to all those he's left behind.

RIP.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is awful. SF was truly one of best people here to talk about journalism with, and thus, life. Very crushed to hear this news.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Oh, no.

I think I got something out of every post he ever made here. Did not have the chance to know him in real life and my thoughts are with all of you who did.

12. Moderator1

I also can't emphasize enough how appreciative I am of lantaur and hondo understanding the situation about the threads they started. Certainly wasn't trying to "scoop" them with something like this - this is very recent and CBS wanted to be sure his family knew. Craig knew so many people in so many places and no one wanted to have someone, without meaning harm, to call his sister and offer condolences before she knew.

This is a big strong kick to the gut for all of us. This was a guy who loved the business, loved every bit of it. Loved talking about the business. Hell, just loved talking to people. He just did a half marathon! He called not long ago to talk about someone CBS was considering and it was 30 minutes before we got on topic. A wonderful, wonderful guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted