1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five favorite war movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Honestly had not noticed it. Maybe it's a mental block because I was so traumatized by having to read the book and watch the movie in a joint history / literature class in 6th grade.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry you were traumatized. Hope you got your Jane Austen on to counterract that.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Everything by Sergio Leone (except My Name Is Nobody). The 1966 Django. The Great Silence. The Big Gundown. The Sabata Trilogy (for comedic purposes).

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Great Silence is the one I want to see off this list I've not seen. Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West and Duck You Sucker are two of the best movies ever made in my opinion.

Ever seen Django Kill!? -- the bizarro ripoff of Django that had a group of S&M'd up gay bad cowboys in it? Truly a bizarre movie, but entertaining in parts.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yeah, I've seen it. I was obsessed with spag westerns for the better part of a year at one time. Watching the entirety of the Trinity series was my low point.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

On top of being a history buff, I'm a war movie aficionado. Which scrambles my eggs to see that "A Bridge Too Far" isn't mentioned five pages in here. An awesome, poignant, well-written and acted movie, based on Cornelious Ryan's book on Operation Market Garden.

My list in order:

1. The Longest Day. Try making a movie with THAT cast and that production cost today and you're looking at something north of $2 BILLION.
    2. A Bridge Too Far. See above.
    3. Glory. The scene where they come over the bend and see the cannon pointed at them -- devastating.
    4. All Quiet on the Western Front. The book is incredible, the movie poignant and heart-breaking.
    5. Saving Private Ryan.
    HM: Gallipoli; Platoon; The Blue Max (I have a thing for WWI aviation);

A HUGE fan of George C. Scott's performance -- dead-on nails. But not a fan of Patton in-total. Too disjointed and too tidy at the end. The Deer Hunter left me cold. Apocalypse Now had its moments and quotable lines, but not one of my favorites.

Of course, if Band of Brothers is allowed (judges, can we get a ruling here?) that vaults to No. 1 and everything else goes down.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

More in the vain of Band of Brothers but I would add Generation Kill to the mix.

I will stop and watch "The Longest Day " but found it drags at times. Still not bad.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Isn't exhumation illegal?

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

no love for 12 o'clock high or enemy at the gate?

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A couple of others that have been mentioned that I liked were The Blue Max and Stalag 17. And, I'm sorry, but one of my guiltiest pleasures is Braveheart. The Scottish blood in me (of which there is considerable) never fails to get stirred up when Mel delivers the final soliloquy at the end, "they fought like warrior-poets and won their freedom," at the Battle of Bannockburn.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You know, I thought of "ABTF" but it gets a little hokey at times and that pushed it out of the top five for me. Definitely in the top 10 though. And props to 2underpar for bringing in "Twelve O'Clock High," one of the best air war movies from WWII.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

No love for Mister Roberts?

And as to what some of them were really fighting for:

The Americanization of Emily
    Operation Petticoat
    Father Goose
    I was a Male War Bride
    Kiss Them For Me

Draft saved Draft deleted