1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Army sergeant held for civilian shootings in Afghanistan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So basically what you are saying is that Obama staked his political future on the lives of 40,000 US troops.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nope.

3. Boom_70

So where does the buck stop then for the surge decision? Who ultimately owns it? Obama, The Pentagon?
    The Republican Congress?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why are you looking to blame someone? Or make this political?

The responsibility falls to all of us.

5. Boom_70

Not looking to blame someone, not looking to make it political. You're the one who introduced "the American right" into the mix.

I am looking to discuss whether the decision made in 2009 to triple down on the amount of troops was a good one.

Based on current state of Afghanistan it does not appear that it was.

I would hope that there was no political basis for decision. I'm sure that the families who lost loved ones would hope this too. One thing that is clear, the surge has lead to a lot more American soldiers getting killed in action.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because the "American right" are the ones who started this war, which I actually agreed with. Only, the "American right" decided to do this war on the cheap, and then decided to invade another country that had nothing to do with the attack on our soil for their own political (and financial) gains. They fucked that up, and now we had two fuck-up wars on our hands.

Then Obama had to decide whether to continue the "American right's" fuckups or discontinue them. He continued one, and stopped the other.

To use a baseball analogy with Afghanistan (I know, I know, please bear with me), it's like Bush allowed three runs and put three runners on base in the first inning before getting yanked out for Obama. Obama comes in, gets the most dangerous hitter out, then gives up a gopherball. And the right-wingers start shrieking that Obama gave up four runs, while Bush only gave up three, even though rightly, it's Bush's six runs to Obama's one.

7. Boom_70

So are you saying that Obama decided to continue the war in Afghanistan so as not to be accused of being weak by "the American right"?

Obama certainly gets some credit for being against the war in Iraq from the beginning but there were more Democrats who agreed with Bush at the time including John Kerry. We can bring back the quotes if you want.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So, to recap.

Republican president + Democratic congressional agreement = consensus and statesmanship.

Democratic president + Republican congressional agreement = craven politicking.

Interesting.

9. Baron Scicluna

No, I'm saying Obama decided to continue the war because it was the right thing to do, and wouldn't have to had to continue it had Bush not fucked it up in the first place.

Bush sends 130,000 troops to Afghanistan, and none to Iraq, it'd be a much different world.

And we can bring up the lies that Bush, et. al. told that inspired the quotes from Kerry and company.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, Osama bin Laden started this war...

[​IMG]

But don't let that get in the way of a good political pissing match.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

In 10 years, 9/11 will replace Nazism in Godwin's Law.

12. Baron Scicluna

And "the American right" fucked up the response.

Too much questioning of patriotism, trash talk and jet-fighter landings, not enough thought put into fighting two wars at once.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted