1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins get No. 2 pick.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The only way that was true is if the Cowboys decided to cut him before the season began. Does that sound likely, or even plausible?

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Nope. They took the salary for the uncapped year and converted to signing bonus. Money is the same just different accounting to lower long-term cap hit.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Teams were told repeatedly by the NFL they couldn't try to game the uncapped year by reworking deals so that all the money was guaranteed in the uncapped year. The Cowboys and Redskins did it anyway. The union doesn't have any problem with what happened. In fact, they were probably thrilled to see players get guaranteed money. It's the rest of the teams in the NFL that wanted Snyder and Jones punished, because they were working with a competitive advantage the other teams didn't have going forward. Both owners were trying to bail themselves out of cap woes they created.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Best current QBs in the NFL:
    Brady Big10
    P. Manning SEC
    E. Manning SEC
    Roethlisberger MAC
    Brees Big 10
    Rodgers Pac 12
    Rivers ACC
    Stafford SEC
    Romo Ohio Valley
    Ryan ACC
    Schaub ACC
    Newton SEC
    Fitzpatrick Ivy
    Sanchez Pac 12
    Flacco CAA
    Palmer Pac12
    Vick Big East
    Bradford Big 12

Can you draw any conclusion or even inference based on college conference?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Vick didn't play in the ACC. He was a Big East QB

6. heyabbott

Fixed.

7. I don't even understand what the basis of the conversation is? All I was saying is that teams aren't going to determine whether they choose a QB or not based on his conference affiliation.

And for the record, if you want to put Bradford on the list, you should include another B12 QB in Josh Freeman as well.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Arm strength, accuracy, footwork, the ability to read coverage teams are attempting to play, and how comfortable you are with a Pro Style offense has way more to do with how a quarterback should be evaluated than how good the conference was that he played in. Put Andrew Luck in the SEC and he'd be Eli Manning with more mobility. Put John Parker Wilson in the PAC 12 and he's still going to look like John Parker Wilson. He might throw for more yards and TDs, but he's still not an NFL starter.

9. heyabbott

I was attempting to agree with you. If you look at the qb/conference dsitribution, you'd think the ACC was the equal of the Big 10.

QB is so idiosyncratic that the matrix to determine whether a college QB would be an effective pro QB is so diverse that no single factor is determinitive.

Given Romo, Flacco and Fitzgerald, I'd bet there would be several Linsanity stories in the NFL if teams would open their minds a bit more.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I know some people don't like Jay Cutler, but now he can't even beat out Ryan Fucking Fitzpatrick?

11. Gotcha. My bad. I agree with your post.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I was thinking about the possibility of the Redskins signing Wallace or Jackson next season. I'm just curious, will they be able to afford one of them? Don't they have a 18 million penalty next season?

Draft saved Draft deleted