1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins get No. 2 pick.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 9, 2012.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Even if Griffin can play, this isn't a bargain. We could look back at this trade and see shades of Herschel Walker before it's said and done

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You cannot say this deal was good/bad until we see how Griffin turns out. Put it this way. If a team traded three first round picks for the rights to Tom Brady in 2000, would that be a good deal or a bad deal?
    When the Pats let Curtis Martin go, there were many people, not just in New England, who said the draft picks they got made it an easy decision. In the end, the draft picks got blown on very unproductive players (Chris Canty, Andy Katzenmoyer) and Curtis has an August date in Canton.
    Washington took a position. Until the wheel stops turning, that shouldn't be criticized.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Don't think that's a good comp due to age difference.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Man, I don't know what's wrong with you guys. They gave up four picks for one pick. That was the trade. There was nothing officially designating the No. 6 pick as a "swapped" pick. They swapped four picks for one pick.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Keep in mind that Rams got four slotted contracts in exchange for one. That's three starters Skins will have to fill via free agency. Huge cap penalty there.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right. Mizzougrad, I think you defeated your own point. Think about how valuable those three (likely high) picks will be for the Rams because of the new collective bargaining agreement.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, if RGIII can be half as good as Cutler, the Skins are the big winners here.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Because the headline read "Redskins give up three 1st-round draft picks" which makes it look as though the Skins finished the transaction with three fewer first round picks than they had at the start of the day, which is not true. The net loss of first round picks was two.

9. One other factor in ultimately declaring a "winner" in this trade is Sam Bradford. The Rams devoutly stuck by him in this and declared an unrelenting belief that he'll become the franchise QB they thought he'd be when he was drafted. If that doesn't pan out and Griffin becomes a superstar, it won't matter much what the Rams get with the picks acquired.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It just said "Redskins give up three first-round draft picks" without "for No. 2 pick"? If so, that is misleading.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That was my understanding based on what hondo posted. I never saw it myself. The site now has "Redskins get No. 2 pick from Rams" as the story hed and "Redskins land No. 2 pick from Rams" as the front page tease.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm just happy Isaiah Thomas landed on his feet after the Knicks fired him.

Draft saved Draft deleted