1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Negatives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 9, 2012.

1. "Just from a political perspective, do you think the President of the United States going into re-election wants gas prices to be higher?"

The President's answer sounded like he was making policy based on politics, and it wasn't an actual denial. It was bad. "Bullshit" might have been better, but not good.

He does, legitimately, have to deal with this analysis by his energy secretary:

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," Mr. Chu, who directs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in September (of 2008).

http://sec.online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB122904040307499791.html

Answer the question directly, and undercut it. His answer on Tuesday wasn't great at all.

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I've seen that a lot too. That year, I was driving back and forth from Alabama to Florida, trying to marry the antichrist. I know gas prices hit $4 or so while I was making that trek.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

OK, I'll bite. Let me take these one by one:
    1. We haven't had a broad-scale terrorist attack since 9/11. This includes nearly four years of a Democratic administration. You may feel like your rights are being infringed upon, but I think we are a safer country.
    2. By holding detainees at Gitmo, we may be getting valuable information to use against arresting future terror suspects.
    3. Not an issue to me. It's inevitable. It's going to happen. And my advice to the GOP, even as I am an avowed conservative, is to not make this an issue. You WILL lose every election where it is an issue if you do. The current generation, and future generations, are or will be more progressive-thinking in this area.
    4. Still suspicious here. How many people are on the sidelines not looking for work? How many people are underemployed? (I know I am at the moment.) While the economy is adding jobs, tell the whole story.
    5. Obama didn't start class warfare in the first place. If you ever heard a speech by Richard Gephardt, you'd swear you were listening to today's party. Gephardt was a master at the "tax cuts for the wealthy" speech.
    6. Not an issue because gas been high under Democrats and Republicans and low under both parties. Gas jumped from 86 cents to $1.25 under Carter in one year. Gas dropped from $1.20 to $1.03 in one year under Clinton.
    7. Higher taxes can kill an economic recovery, especially when the economy is in a precarious state like now. This goes for income taxes, payroll taxes, gas taxes...
    8. Pulled out the troops instead of leaving some behind in Iraq to oversee the reconstruction process. Yes, I know people will say "they wanted us out"... but until the region is more stable we should have maintained a presence. Iran has a chance to light the whole region up once again.
    9. If the Supreme Court rules the mandate isn't constitutional, Obamacare as we know it collapses. Obamacare didn't address free-market purchase of insurance across state lines, malpractice/tort reform, etc. And Nancy didn't help matters any when she uttered that idiotic phrase "Well, we have to pass the bill so you can see what is in it." Ranks right up there with "I didn't inhale", "I did not have sex with that woman" and "I am not a crook" as some of the dumbest phrases uttered by a politician in history. :)
    10. See No. 8. The entire Middle East goes together.
    11. I'm going to twist this around and say something should be done so Mexico's war doesn't come across the border. Soon, the border towns might have wars in the streets, people being shot and killed for no reason, etc. Otherwise, I don't think this is as big an issue to some away from border states.

Like with others, I will grant his policy on Osama and Libya worked well.

I would say, however, that along with Michelle Obama's push to curb childhood obesity there seems to be a renewed push to limit or place restrictions on what we can eat as adults/children. Government has no business dictating what food goes in your mouth (and on that, I sound more like a Libertarian.)

Didn't vote for Obama in 2008 and won't again in 2012. I may, however, hold my nose at the choice at the top. (shrugs)

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

So which, pray tell, of the Repub clowns do you honestly believe is capable of doing a better job?
    And why/how?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There already a fine thread for that discourse. Please leave this one to Obama discussion.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've got an elephant-repelling rock to sell you. A bit pricey, but I'm sure you'll be a satisfied customer.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Because assigning "keeps us safe" as a value to a president is impossible? Or because "keeps us safe" can't be assigned to this president?

8. RickStain

Because bad logic is bad, regardless of whether a President keeps us safe or not.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How 'bad' is the logic here?

10. RickStain

Pretty bad.

"Infringing civil liberties is protecting our safety because since it began happening, we've had no terrorist attacks."

"This rock protects me from elephant attacks. Since I bought it, I haven't been attacked by a single elephant."

The governments actions may or may not be effective at preventing large-scale terrorist attacks on American soil. But considering they weren't exactly prevelant in the years leading up to 9/11 either, it's still bad logic simply to reference the lack of attacks as proof.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, we've actually prevented terrorist attacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted