1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Negatives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 9, 2012.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Oil companies raised gas prices to give Republican candidates an issue. The rise is consumer fuel costs is artificial and does not correspond with market conditions as much as padding profits and screwing Obama. Big oil fears alternative energy will have larger market share. As that happens alternative energy prices come down making it more competitive.

Oil needs to buy the Presidency and raising prices will help rightist candidates portray Obama as hurtful to average Americans.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

1. He sure as hell did. A lot of the heavy-handed OWS policing came during his term too.
    2. Yup.
    3. There is absolute no reason not to do this. The writing is on the wall.
    4. The unemployment situation is still very bad. I'm not convinced the unemployment numbers were lowered because people are getting jobs. Fuzzy math.
    5. He has shown time and time again that he's pretty much indifferent or leaning slightly toward the side of corporate America. He has not taken a strong enough stance IMO.
    6. He bares some blame. Didn't do anything to reign in the rampant speculation that helped cause the 2008 mess.
    7. Higher taxes...meh. The local and state taxes are what really rape you.
    8. No reason to be in Afghanistan fighting what are essentially Star Wars characters from the planet Tattooine.
    9. He bailed on single-payer early, so yeah...it was a failure.
    10. Israel hasn't done itself any favors.
    11. From what I understand the economy sucks so bad that the flow of illegals has pretty much stopped.
    ---
    12. His ramping up of the war on drugs in the last couple of years is troubling. (Rolling Stone did an excellent article about it a few weeks ago).
    13. He did not go out of his way to show any sort of support for public workers targeted by governors in Ohio and Wisconsin.
    14. Not enough using of the bully pulpit.
    15. Not enough discussion of climate change. I'm especially upset that he doesn't talk about this when the pipeline issue comes up. That was the main reason hundreds of scientists and activists were getting arrested in front of the White House last year.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This is a big negative for me. He's also had the EPA postpone cracking down on emission requirements, expanded off-shore drilling and botched support of alternative energy (the Solyndra scandal).

Of course, as I've said before on here, for those of us who want to hold Obama accountable on his environmental record, what is our alternative in 2012?

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm pretty sure your alternative on the environment is no regulation at all.

Romney, Santorum and Gingrich would do away with the EPA, and Ron Paul would have all EPA employees rounded up in the street and shot; he would then scrub all record of the EPA out of history, like Stalin would with photos of people he had eliminated.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The President is like the QB/Superstar: gets too much credit when its going good, too much flak when its going bad.

People fail to look at the Constitution; its a three branch government, not a dictatorship/monarchy. He/she can only do so much. The POTUS cannot unilaterally implement any laws, install any judges, even change the budget/deficit. The POTUS must get his/her proposals approved by Congress.

Now, the POTUS is still very powerful because he/she can make cabinet appointments which have a great impact on our day to day lives.

The list of pros and cons is unfair in substance because there is no way Obama could implement most of those on his own.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've noticed it going around how "Gas only cost $1.69 per gallon when Obama was inaugurated! Look what he's done to gas prices!"

That, of course, conveniently overlooks two facts: It was at $1.69 per gallon at the depths of the recession. Nobody was spending, nobody was driving, there was no demand, so prices plummeted. And I do mean PLUMMETED. The national average was $4.12 per gallon during July of 2008. So let's not act like gas prices were fantastic under Bush.

I suppose certain policies and military actions can affect gas prices, but I think the President's influence over the price at the pump is wildly overrated.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

According to polling, 10 percent of Americans attribute rising gas prices to the law of supply and demand. And that's a BIG increase over the number who did so when they spiked in 2008.
    We are a nation of spoiled children -- make that toddlers.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.
    Thanks for the snark.
    Now let's carry on the discussion.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As more baby boomers retire debt/ deficit will be a bigger issue.

I would like to see Obama take a more serious look at Simpson Bowles recommendations.

10. That's a long-term concern that needs to be addressed soon. I want to point out that we might start feeling the effects far earlier, though, if we have even a moderate economic hiccup.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not a registered Republican, though I do lean that way. I didn't vote for Obama in 2008, nor do I plan to vote for him in 2012.
    I will give him credit, however, for the way he's handled Iraq, Afghanistan and the terrorism issue. We'd run our course in Iraq and we're leaving. Afghanistan and terrorism are going to be problems for a while, but we're trying to deal with it. For those that think we can ignore that front, remember that we more or less ignored it for a decade before 9/11.
    He's done a better job than I thought he would on those issues.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ding-ding-ding-a-ding ding.

There is One Word, which if Obama would use Just Once in a press conference, which would probably boost his approval ratings 25 percent.

That word is "bullshit."

Faux Fascist Noise Flunky:

“Your critics will say on Capitol Hill that you want gas prices to go higher because you have said before that will wean the American people off fossil fuels onto renewable fuels,” Henry said. “How do you respond to that?”

Obama: "Bullshit."

Nation roars in approval.

Michael Douglas's "American President" speech boiled into one word.

Draft saved Draft deleted