1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: College basketball coaching carosel

The year Mason got the at-large and hit the Final Four - didn't the CAA have three that year as well? I can't remember.

A10 is a little stronger, yes, though not as much as it likes to think. Both leagues, however, have been very top heavy in recent years. REALLY good at the top, REALLY bad at the bottom.

Being at the top of the CAA now at least allows a team to think it has an at-large chance. That didn't used to be the case. I thought all along the two finalists would go - I haven't looked at Drexel's numbers, though. Does it have to win tonight?

The CAA's top coaches also stay a while. Blaine Taylor has been at ODU forever. Larranaga, I thought, would be at Mason forever. Bruiser Flint has been at Drexel, what, a decade (and four CAA coach of the year awards). It's no longer a hit it and run league.

I still think Shaka gets an offer well in excess of $2 mil.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I suspect Tim Miles at Colorado State will field a lot of phone calls. He's done a very good job turning around that program.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Fordham-Towson would be a great matchup. A 2012-13 bracket-buster!

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A-10's better, but you wouldn't be wrong in saying that the gap has closed, more than a little bit.

A

A-10's still better, but you wouldn't be wrong in noting that the gap has closed, more than a little bit.

And when Temple leaves for the Big East . . .

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not for Dohrmann, certainly.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They can't all win Pulitzers. :D

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What's left of the UAB fanbase would be thrilled to dump Davis. Question is if the AD is too scared to ask the board for another buyout after cashiering Neil Calloway. If they do, I expect a low-rent replacement.

I don't see any point in LSU switching coaches. They haven't drawn flies for basketball since Dale Brown left, even with Final Four teams. And Trent Johnson has them close to turning the corner again.

Interesting to me is whether Larry Eustachy has done enough time in purgatory to upgrade from Southern Miss.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Without question. Wonder what kind of money is out there (i.e., will the offers be to the point where there's no point in seeing if the powers-to-be in Fort Collins will match). Regardless, someone isn't paying attention if Miles doesn't at least get a phone call or two.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I doubt it. He's coaching in his hometown, making more than $1 million a year, at a school where he can consistently produce winners and NCAA tournament teams. Knowing him, I doubt he'd have much regret if he never leaves Butler.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

And Lowery is, IIRC, still getting two years of pay at 750k for Southern Illinois?!?

See, I don't think Lowery will kick himself over staying. Perhaps, in 2007, he knew he wasn't an elite coach. Maybe he saw the recession coming and knew most mid major salaries would go down.

If you have the option of "playing it safe" in Carbondale (with Weber's players) and make 750k if you knew, in your heart of hearts, you are a better assistant than a head coach, you do it and count your money later.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Flint flamed out of the A10 with UMass, has won 20 games three times at Drexel (including this season) and has not made the NCAA. I'd be surprised if he's turned down any big time jobs to stay in the CAA.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Ask BYH if the CAA got a third bid that year (yes, it was THAT year).

Ben brings up a good point re: Temple. Does the A-10 make a move to replace them? Is UMass an option for the Big East eventually now that the football program is FBS? How long is Georgia State staying in the CAA before moving its football program up? Are JMU and Delaware looking to follow suit?

Were I to have the power, I'd rig up a CAA/A-10 working agreement whereupon the A-10 sends Charlotte, Richmond and George Washington to the A-10 and takes on Northeastern, Hofstra and Drexel (maybe Delaware too). Makes the conferences more regional. Then do a CAA vs. A-10 Challenge, maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted