1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Re: College basketball coaching carosel

I was all but certain Andy Kennedy was out at Ole Miss this year, but I'm not so sure now. If he is gone, I would assume UAB would rid itself of the Mike Davis debacle and come on strong to him.

Or (for you Alabama folks) is Davis secure after last season's NIT run and the turnaround this year?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can't believe none of the deskers around here have complained about the "carosel" spelling.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sorry, but that's nowhere even close to being correct.

Since 2005 (inclusive), the A-10 has received 17 NCAA bids (7 auto, 10 at-large). The CAA has received 10 (seven auto, 3 at-large). The CAA has advanced two teams to the Final Four, the A-10 none, but the A-10 has consistently been the superior league over the past seven years, by a long shot, and has been recognized as such by the NCAA Selection Committee.

The CAA got two at-large teams last year, for the first time ever. The A-10 has had two at large bids in each of the past four seasons.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If the numbers I looked at are correct, the A-10 over the last five years has gotten 3-3-3-3-2 teams in the tournament, while the CAA has gotten 3-1-1-1-2 teams in.

A-10: 14 teams
    CAA: 8 teams.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Micro Guy beat me to the punch.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Damn, I was way off. Probably because I don't take into account Temple and Xavier as A-10 teams. Dayton is usually pretty good, too.

Would I be as wrong to say that, top to bottom, the CAA is generally better than the A-10? Or should I just STFU?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he survived this long, to be honest, but he is a classic example of a school making a big investment in a guy who turned out to be a bust and then not being able to buy him out when they want to and thus he survives a few extra years longer than he should.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Others already beat me to the punch, but yeah, the Atlantic 10 is consistently a better basketball conference than the CAA by far. The A10's average conference RPI ranking is around seventh in the nation and the CAA is usually around 12 or 13.

A10 has 161 NCAA Tournament bids, compared to 58 for the CAA.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Dayton, UMass, Xavier, Temple and St. Joseph's are all consistently very good programs (Xavier, in particular). George Washington, Rhode Island, Richmond and St. Louis often have teams good enough to reach the NIT or occasional NCAA berth. It's really a good conference.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes....and have a Happy Randy Edsall is due for a contract extension day.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That was just uncalled for, Chef.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

DTGDTN!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted