1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Re: College basketball coaching carosel

I'd be shocked if Stevens jumped to Illinois or anywhere anytime soon.
    I believe he is waiting on K to retire.
    K is 65. There is mutual admiration.
    Then Duke will have to choose between one of its own or Stevens.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You know Horn has to be gone. Deer in headlights.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow. I would take Stevens over any of the former Duke assistants. Although some said the reason Amaker stayed at Harvard was to position himself to get the Duke job, rather than risk being mediocre at another major program.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tommy's chance at the Duke job, lifetime: less than zero.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I have no idea what standing he, or any of the other former Duke assistants are in with the University, Coach K, etc... I just remember his name came up for some big jobs last year and he wouldn't even interview for them. Maybe he's just happy at Harvard.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shaka Smart has done one HELL of a job this year - he lost just about everything and there are some good teams at the top of the league he's in and they're, what, 27-6 and ought to be in even if they lose tonight? Incredible coaching job on top of that Final Four run.

Someone is going to toss twice what he's making at VCU (1.2 mil) at him. Be interesting to see how high VCU is able to go to try and keep him.

Illinois wouldn't surprise me at all. He has some Chicago roots.

Hell of a coach, exceptionally personable.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Gottlieb has them in even with a loss to Drexel. Lunardi has them as his second team out. What is Patrick Stevens saying? He's been just as accurate as Lunardi, if not more.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the VCU AD has his list of Florida assistants at the ready, just in case.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Stevens doesn't get another bigtime job, he will be kicking himself for along time (i.e. Schiano at Rutgers) for not jumping while the time was right.

10. Mizzougrad96

I would think that it will be very hard to keep VCU out. I don't think it will hurt them that just about everybody wants to see them back, not that that's necessarily enough...

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

What's a reasonable dream for VCU? Development into a Gonzaga/Xavier type of program? A move to a better conference (presuming no breakaway of the Big East non-football schools, is the A-10 a significant step up?) What can be feasibly accomplished may tell the tale as to whether he stays. If regularly contending for the CAA title and occasionally making a run in the NCAAs is the cap, then he's already done that and can't help himself by staying.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not sure VCU would ever consider leaving. They're in a geographically sensible league, and have spent the past few years at the top of it. Now that the CAA is multi-bid, this time period's version of the MVC, it's in a good place. CAA teams are generally better, and more of them tend to make the tourney than, the A-10. Gonzaga wasn't made overnight. It took years. If VCU keeps it up, maybe that could happen. And then I guess the CAA is sort of the east coast version of the WCC. For college hoopsters, and most of the teams in that league don't play football, that's pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted