1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USAT reorg

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1HPGrad, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Anonymous post to Hopkins' Gannett blog:
    "USA Today Sports newsroom reorg. Everybody, top down, has to apply for jobs. Reorg to be completed in 90 days. Discuss."

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/usat-sports-said-in-top-down.html

Anybody know anything?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Re: USAT reorg?

Not so much a surprise this is happening, but with the former Yahoo sports folks who have been brought in, a surprise it took this long for a major reorg.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I'd follow Morgan, no doubt. Huge fan.
    You know I interviewed with him. I also interviewed with USAT and still can't get over the managerial flow chart those guys showed me. Would have gone from about 1 of 6 or 7 ASEs where I was to about 1 of 20-some at USAT. That was the first thing they showed me. I mentally checked out after 5 minutes ... met some nice people, but that interview was the longest day of my career.

4. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

What about the pay to pay deal they just signed with NASCAR? Basically getting money to ramp up coverage, a similar arrangement they have with LPGA if I'm not mistaken. Also the idea of going into the agency and property representation business. There are things going on here that are truly not kosher.

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

That's just more of the same, BMM. In my critique, I noted several examples of oddly timed stories about out of season sports. I didn't notice the ads on the page. During my interview, they explained that it's a common practice/arrangement. Somebody buys a hockey ad, you write a hockey story, relevance be damned.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Always wondered about all the NHRA drag racing coverage they have. Gotta be some kind of arrangement there too.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Excellent opportunity for me to apply to be sports editor, or Managing Editor/Sports or whatever.

There's a job I know I can do.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

My understanding --- from a USA Today insider who typically doesn't rip co-workers --- is that the sports department for years has been loaded with dead-weight assistant sports editors who aren't good editors and don't know sports. Look for most of them to get fired or transferred. Look for Monte Lorell to be offered a spot as a night news editor.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I don't see anything there to argue with.

10. CNY

CNY Member

Indeed. Same goes for much of their UFC and bull riding coverage and the annual NHL Winter Classic pullout.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

They could have cut the managerial org chart in half and still had more ASEs than anywhere I worked.
    The assistants had assistants. Never seen anything like it. Hate to think how much money it cost to run that department every day.

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

I'm interested to see how Morgan's track record on diversity hiring (which is not strong, despite the respect he gets on this board) meshes with Gannett's former initiatives on equity.

Draft saved Draft deleted