1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal athletic resumes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Feb 19, 2012.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I wasn't too old for high school sports my sophomore year in college.

It was a common practice to "redshirt" (hold back) kids coming out of 8th grade so they'd be more physically mature their senior year. I did not do this and would have been a pissed off hombre if it was even suggested.

But I would have been much more competitive during what was my freshman year in college if I could have gone back and played high school ball.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Played Little League baseball for five years. Was a combination outfielder/bench warmer. Finished with a career batting average somewhere around .133 and a career OBS of .330 or so.

Played a few years of rec basketball when I was in my pre-teen/early teen years. I was tall for my age at that point so I was a center/forward. I could win the jump balls, get rebounds, but couldn't score a basket to save my life. Tried out for the middle school basketball team and was cut after the first day of tryouts. Same goes for the freshman team in high school (by that point everyone had caught up to me and/or surpassed me in height so 5-8 wasn't tall).

Played rec soccer as a youth for a year or two and had an own goal when I kicked it back to our goalie so he could catch it and then clear it with a solid downfield kick, but he missed my kick.

Ran track my freshman year of high school and part of my sophomore year until my part-time job interfered with going to meets and practices. Tried being a distance runner the first day of practice and nearly died. Came back the next day and tried being a sprinter (100, 200). Since there was no JV team, everyone ran varsity, which meant two heats of some events, so I was always running in that second heat. Sliced 4 seconds off my 200 time in the first 2-3 weeks or so, but still qualified as the world's slowest sprinter. Despite efforts of some to get me to quit (including the 6-5 250 pound linebacker/field event co-captain blind siding me with a hit that sent me flying a good five feet into the long jump pit and it taking three CB/WRs - sprinters to push me into a locker) I gutted out the freshman year and earned the respect of everyone on the team by the end of the season.

Tried one year of rec softball to discover I was no bat, no glove.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Played every sport under the sun except for hockey growing up, which in Canada makes me weird.

Best sports were baseball and basketball, though today I'm best at tennis. My best accomplishments are in baseball. I was a left-handed pitcher with an 80 mph fastball.

I threw my arm out so badly in the final two weeks of my Babe Ruth career that I still can't throw without pain 15 years later. Never got it looked at, don't want to. But I threw a three-hit complete game to win the championship game for my team, then three days later held an all-star team at bay for four innings. It wound up being my last competitive game ever. Couldn't even feel my arm between innings.

Oh and I curled for the first time last month, two-man curling, beat a 13-year-old and his pregnant mom with a clutch takeout on last rock.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Played primarily ice hockey while in high school, eventually making the Midget A team and leading that team in scoring. I was going to play for the college's club team, but ended up working for the paper so there went my nights and weekends. Looking back I really wish I wouldn't have been so quick to jump into that and would have enjoyed more of my college experience.

I played baseball my first two years in high school, hitting and even .500 (32-for-64) for the JV team my sophomore year, but the coach was a dick and when he was promoted to coach the varsity the next season I played spring hockey.

Senior year I played HS golf.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I was a distance runner in high school -- was my team's leading cross country runner my junior year, and ran a 4:58 1,600 and a 10:38 3,200 during track that year. That summer, I discovered cars and beer, and my performance dropped off precipitously my senior year. I haven't run without being pursued since.

I was also a decent basketball player, but never made the team. I did a pretty good job as the team statistician my senior year, which led directly to my first agate-clerk job.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hit a triple at recess in the 6th grade. Le fin.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Ran three seasons of varsity cross country in high school, with a 17:06 PR (5K), one team MVP award and one year as captain. Ran two seasons of varsity track with a 2:18 PR in the 800, a 4:44 PR in the 1,600 and a 10:18 PR in the 3,200. Swam one year on the varsity, though I never really cared about times there. Wrestled one year and went 6-10 for the JV and 0-2 for the varsity.

Walked on to the college cross country for one season, ran one open race and crossed in 30:32 (8K).

Back in good shape now and running faster than I did a decade ago. Recently set PRs in the 5K (16:51), 10K (37:57), half-marathon (1:26) and marathon (3:09).

When I covered preps a few years ago, I could beat all of the girls and about three-quarters of the boys I covered at any distance. That always felt pretty good.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In basketball, I played against Jason Kidd and Jerod Haase in high school.

9. Played football in 7th/8th grade. Was put at OL because of my weight, but actually could out-throw both guys they picked to be QB. Won the punting job in 8th grade and completed a punt fake pass. Had my touchdown robbed after the receiver tripped on the five yard line. Not tripped while running five yards from the endzone - he literally tripped on the five-yard line.

Played water polo throughout high school and was captain my senior year. Picture that for a second - a guy pushing 3 bills was the captain of a water polo team. We went to regionals where we were promptly smoked somewhere along the lines of 24-4 through three quarters. At that point I just decided to chuck the ball from the middle of the pool - no one else was playing defense, so I figured fuck it might as well have some fun. I got three goals in the final quarter, including two almost perfectly in the upper 90.

Covered my high school team for a neighboring paper all through my senior year. I'd have about 2 hours to kill if I rode with the team, so I'd start throwing the ball with the assistant coaches. This one coach was a real smartass and decided to stand 40 yards away to try and humiliate me - he figured it'd skip to him. He was shocked when it flew a good 55-60. The head coach came over and actually said "Hell, I didn't know you could throw like that." Pretty legit moment.

And that's that.

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Baseball
    Little league baseball all-star 7 years straight (ages 5-11) Dizzy Dean state champ twice.
    Played varsity 4 years (9-12 grade) Won state my senior year. Was decent ball player, but as noted later, I hurt my arm playing football and had to move to 2nd base from 3rd.

Basketball
    One of only three 7th graders on the 7th-8th grade Basketball team. We played together until we graduated.
    Played swing man for a D3 school my freshman year. Couldn't afford the tuition, had to leave.

Football
    Played TE as a 9th grader on JV football. Backup QB and about the 4th WR as 10th grader for varsity.
    Starting QB for :45 seconds my junior year. Tore my rotator cuff first pass of the year. Finished season at WR rather than get it fixed and sit out. Earned All-County honors.
    Senior year I helped teach the soph. QB will a monster arm the basics and played WR. Earned all-area and all-county honors again.

Last year tried out for QB of a semi-pro team. Three practices in, my arm gave out completely. End of my athletic career. Stayed on as Off. Coor. of the team.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I finished second scratch/10th overall in my age group (13-14) at the California Youth Bowling championships the summer before my freshman year of college. The other top two guys from my group of friends went on to bowl on the PBA Tour. I made varsity tennis my freshman year of high school (No. 1 doubles) but the combination of 30 hours of bowling a week plus 10-20 hours of tennis a week caught up to me and I wound up shredding my shoulder (torn rotator cuff + bone spurs). I had surgery but it didn't "take" 100 percent - my shoulder kills me if I overuse it and sometimes it pops out of place momentarily if I'm throwing a ball and use a weird arm angle.

I got obsessed with getting qualifying for the bowling U.S. Open about seven years ago - spent 20 hours a week practicing plus various leagues (it's mainly anything overhead that screws up my shoulder). Got my average to around 205 and rising before I screwed up the tendons in my thumb. At that point, I decided that maybe I wasn't cut out for the big-time world of pro bowling.

My kickball team made it to the semifinals of the world championships a few years ago. I'm playing in a decent regional tournament in a few weeks in Long Beach with my new team (most of the good West Coast teams will be there and there's a $2,000 first prize).

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I got messed up a different way. At the top of my game, was competing in a doubles event. I must have gotten something on my slide shoe, jammed at the line and pitched face-first onto the lane. I think I might have cracked my kneecap, but didn't get it checked out.

What happened, though, is it screwed with my head. I couldn't slide anymore. Wound up finishing without one. What was a smooth, flowing followthrough became a choppy one.

Draft saved Draft deleted