1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2012 Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The top pick WAS Braun, until he became a cheater. I think Cabrera is a safer pick than Pujols.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm in a league where I get to keep 18 players. The draft is gonna be awesome!

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is no lie: In my A.L.-only keeper league, with a small reserve roster for each team on top of its active roster, every person who is a starter for his team, including all pitchers, end up on someone's fantasy roster. Every single one, along with most utility infielders and fourth outfielders.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey, Dick ... draft Nick Punto!!!

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would take Cabrera over Pujols, just because he will be adding eligibility at third base. That versatility is great to have, especially with your first pick. It gives you more flexibility as you put your team together.

6. outofplace

Cabrera is a recovering alcoholic. Better skip him.

Pujols has been accused of cheating, too. Sure, nobody can prove it. But they can't prove it with Braun, either.

Joe Torre didn't like Matt Kemp, so there must be something wrong with him.

Jose Bautista? More juice accusations.

Troy Tulowitzki? Coors Field inflates his numbers. That's cheating, too, right?

I'm fairly certain that Nate McLouth is clean. There's your first pick. Enjoy last place.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think he was making a moral objection to drafting Braun.

8. outofplace

Not sure there is another reason to downgrade Braun. I guess maybe fear that he was dirty and will now try to play clean. My guess is if he was cheating, he will continue to find a way to do so.

Sure, I included a dose of snark, but the point is, you can't really worry about what you think of players as people if you want to win your fantasy league, something many people do.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You are correct.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It looks like I will have two spots open for a 12-team Yahoo keeper league that is entering its fourth year of play. You would be inheriting the rosters. We have 30-man rosters and you will be able to keep 10.

The draft is scheduled for the afternoon of March 18.

If you would be interested, yet me know.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not because of moral judgements but there are reasons to downgrade Braun. You have to wonder how he'll handle the scrutiny and questions. Baseball players' personal lives often creep into their performance. Will MLB pursue an appeal and win? How will he fare without Fielder in the lineup? None of those things may affect his performance, but any or all of them could so it's wise to at least consider them.

In general, I prefer to pick steroid users, actually. That shit works! :D

12. outofplace

The loss of Fielder is a separate issue. Ruckus said he downgraded Braun based on the suspension, not the loss of Fielder.

You do raise a good point about having to handle the extra scrutiny.

Draft saved Draft deleted